Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How many mile can you drive a day (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156101-how-many-mile-can-you-drive-day.html)

baja pete 04-17-2007 03:31 PM

As everyone else said, get someone to go with you. 2 years ago my buddies did Washington State to New York and back straight. Last year, a buddy and I did Washington State to Sioux Falls, SD and back in 2 days.

sakoutis3 04-17-2007 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bgchuby01 (Post 2096091)
I drive 1000 miles per day or if I am on a deadline I drive 1400 miles in 24 hours stopping only for fuel. I am the boating version of the US Mail. rain or snow or broken axels

Shame on you:( how many log books you using.:eek:

Mike 35 Fountain 04-17-2007 08:47 PM

I think it makes a BIG difference what your driving also.

I did the trip many times, but always did my best times in the M-5 or the S - Benz..............also collected the most tickets on those trips....I used to call them my frequent flyer points :D :D

wrinkleface 04-17-2007 08:58 PM

Lotz of cd's, Don't look at the mile markers or mileage signs! Take a dog 4 company!!!:doggy:

articfriends 04-18-2007 12:07 AM

saginaw mi to oakland ca in 36 hours when I was younger (2200 miles) ,I still run straight thru to fla but have spare drivers (wife/son) empty in the duramax we make 1360 mile trip in 19-20 hours,run 80-92 (except ohio-57-65) depending on how many cops. Couldn't do it by myself anymore though,24 hours behind the wheel used to be nothing for me,nowadays on a fla run I start falling asleep after 3 hours,leave at dinner time,I drive to ohio,wife drives thru ohio while I sleep (I can't stand driving so slow),About midnight she is tired and I been sleeping for 3-4 hours and Im ready to drive hard until a couple hours after sunrise. Take a spare driver with you,nothing worse than driving when you can't stay awake and there is no good place to pull off,Smitty

BattleCry 04-18-2007 02:28 AM

You had better be on your game going thru Nebraska. The interstate speed limit is 75mph for everyone. Trucks will run over you. Leave at 5am and when you get tired, SLEEP. Satellite Radio helps alot. Books or Seminars on CD help alot. Don't over do it.

I have driven coast to coast a couple of times in an Astro Van. Get comfortable and take in everything that is around you. Be careful and watch the signs and the lane you are supposedto be in on the south side of Chicago. It can be very tricky. Watch for cops in Illinois and Iowa. They are very sneaky and will only give you about 5miles over the speed limit. Especially beware of Ohio high patrol. They will always write the ticket.

cig1988 04-18-2007 03:33 AM

A basic rule of thumb is you drive until you get sleepy. I drove commercial for a good number of years and its alot different with a car -vs- a class 8 truck. Make your stops count and DO NOT STOP IN PICKLE PARKS to sleep ! Stay in a truck or a fuel stop. If your pulling that boat with a trailblazer you'll need to take your time especially when the big rigs pass by. The air turbulance may wiggle the sh*t out of ya. When that happens DO NOT let off the gas. You want to keep the tension tight to prevent any kind of jacknife.

phragle 04-18-2007 06:32 AM

looks like the general concensus is:
1. getting old sux!
2. Ohio hiway patrol sux too...

Phantom1 04-18-2007 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity (Post 2096365)
Yea, me too, that's why I'm thinking its a really bad idea. Now I drive 7 minutes to the train just so I can fall alseep for the 1:20 it takes to get to work.

You are already dreading the trip - don't do it.

Pay someone to go get it.

mr_velocity 04-18-2007 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phantom1 (Post 2097655)
You are already dreading the trip - don't do it.

Pay someone to go get it.

Yup, was supposed to leave this morning, just cancelled the flight. Nieghbor is a cop, he is trying to find a retired cop to do it for me. Gonna cost more do move the boat than what I paid for it :eek: