Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Diesel Fuel and Baby Oil (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156234-diesel-fuel-baby-oil.html)

bob 04-18-2007 08:33 PM

Change from 500 ppm LSD to 15 ppm ULSD did have some impact on lubricity, from what I have read. Refiners we supposedly making up for it with an additive(s). Prior to 07, most engine mfgrs approved 5-20% blended bio. Cat is still at 30%. Testing is underway but from what I can gather, it looks like most mfgrs are going to re-evaluate their approved bio levels and probably lower. My guess is potential contamination of the substrate in the DPF's. Should look to get a ULSD bio blend meeting ASTM D6751 or DIN 51606.

Maritime_Eng 04-18-2007 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by bob (Post 2098423)
Change from 500 ppm LSD to 15 ppm ULSD did have some impact on lubricity, from what I have read. Refiners we supposedly making up for it with an additive(s). Prior to 07, most engine mfgrs approved 5-20% blended bio. Cat is still at 30%. Testing is underway but from what I can gather, it looks like most mfgrs are going to re-evaluate their approved bio levels and probably lower. My guess is potential contamination of the substrate in the DPF's. Should look to get a ULSD bio blend meeting ASTM D6751 or DIN 51606.

With all the test vehicles we had all over the US (over 2000 units running for three years) we never lost a fuel pump (high or low pressure) or injector becasue of the ULSD.

bob 04-18-2007 08:48 PM

dgduck13, we had same experience with transit bus apps, no failures either. Just passing on what we were being told by the suppliers. Industry was also on the btu content in ULSD and supposedly refiners helped that:(

Liquid Liability 04-19-2007 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by dgduck13 (Post 2098213)
You don't need to add anything to the fuels! Low sulfur fuel has been around for at least five years now and no one has had a problem.....I had over 2000 test vehicles across the country running it since 2002.

The only issue I have seen on the older diesels is when the new low-sulfur fuel is used for the first couple of tanks it will dislodge some of the build-up in the fuel tank & lines and in turn cause your fuel filter life to be shortened. After a fuel filter change all is well with the new fuel in the older motors.

fountain1fan 04-19-2007 08:56 AM

dgduck we have all ready talked about this in trucks form . i have started adding bio desel to my truck at a rate of 1 gal to 15 to 20 gal of desel fuel. i must say im verry impressed with it . truck runs better and is quieter . i have a friend that is running 100% in his ford and it is a lot quieter and runs a lot better. i'm sold on it. i will buy me a bio desel kit and start making my own . .

Neverfastenuf 04-19-2007 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by dgduck13 (Post 2098213)
You don't need to add anything to the fuels! Low sulfur fuel has been around for at least five years now and no one has had a problem.....I had over 2000 test vehicles across the country running it since 2002.

Exactly. Additives just cost more money and are a pain to use ever time you fill up. My 02.

Sam