Notices

Buffing Out Sun Damage

Old 04-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Buffing Out Sun Damage

I was looking at a Velocity 260 today, and the dealer said it had been stored indoors for the past two years. As I am inspecting it, I noticed a line on the deck where the gloss level suddenly changed. That line was right at the cockpit cover edge along the snaps. When I questioned them about it, it went from being stored indoors to being outside side a week or two. When I started walking away from the boat, it went from a week or two to being on display all summer outside. Of course, they have had it two summers, so now we are up to pretty much being outside all the time. The aluminum trailer wheels are completely corroded. The boat also has a lot of scratches on it from who knows what happened while outside.

The bottom line is, can gel coat be buffed out from sun damage, or is it a lost cause? I know car paint can be buffed out if the sun damage is minor (I did this on a car that was garaged but outside some of the time), but if it has a lot of sun damage, you can buff car paint down to the metal and never get a shine. I want a boat that looks pristine, and would rather walk than get a discount.

Thanks!

Michael
Old 04-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may buff out but will fade quickly
Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sand w/600- 800 -1200 and buff
Old 04-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Registered

The sanding idea above is the only way to make it right. It's a ****load of work. Then will always need a good coat of wax on it.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

You will need a full cover or it will come right back. Had that on my first Formula.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Registered

You do not have to jump on it with sand paper right away. Depending on the level of fading you can probably get it out with regular buffing if you use the right materials.

I buff a lot of boats for extra $$, and I have done boats that have been outside, uncovered and unused for multiple years and I have been able to get some back to close to "new" levels with just buffing. Some of those boats belong to folks on OSO. I have used 2000 grit on some scratches, but generally if you start sanding gel coat you are creating a bigger problem because the gel coat will hold the scratches you put in it with paper a lot worse than clear-coat on a car and it is a lot more difficult to get them blended.

Without starting a huge debate here, I know of some products that work really well, and based on what you have described, should be able to get the finish back. If you want to PM me I will fill you in. Either way, good luck because it can be done.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First, if you want a pristine boat, buy one. If you want that boat get some Aqua buff 2000. That stuff will put a shine on concrete! My Baja had yellowed over the years and this stuff will cut it right off. On bad spots use a D A sander and 1000 grit first and it will look brand new. It is a LOT of work though.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
First, if you want a pristine boat, buy one. If you want that boat get some Aqua buff 2000. That stuff will put a shine on concrete! My Baja had yellowed over the years and this stuff will cut it right off. On bad spots use a D A sander and 1000 grit first and it will look brand new. It is a LOT of work though.
Kenny, if you remember I didn't have to sand on that "pink & purple" 38' you put the yellow stripe on a couple of years back, and it turned out slick after 2+ years of outside storage.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The other thing ,what else are they lying about

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Liquid Liability
Kenny, if you remember I didn't have to sand on that "pink & purple" 38' you put the yellow stripe on a couple of years back, and it turned out slick after 2+ years of outside storage.
You sure were a good friend. I don't buff out anybodies sh*t!

Quick Reply: Buffing Out Sun Damage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.