Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Rough water baptism (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156633-rough-water-baptism.html)

UNSANE 04-24-2007 03:01 PM

That boat is sick. As for me, since I barely got to know my boat last year, I'm going to go one more summer with it and I'll see how I feel. If I do make a switch, I'll stick with milder power. And while 1000hp sounds cool, but how long would that last? And how much $ to deal with a refresh?:eek:

THEJOKER 04-24-2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by UNSANE (Post 2104472)
And how much $ to deal with a refresh?:eek:

Duct tape is cheap!:evilb:

masher44 04-24-2007 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by UNSANE (Post 2104472)
That boat is sick. As for me, since I barely got to know my boat last year, I'm going to go one more summer with it and I'll see how I feel. If I do make a switch, I'll stick with milder power. And while 1000hp sounds cool, but how long would that last? And how much $ to deal with a refresh?:eek:

I am tuned at 930hp right now, 565 ci., 5 lbs of boost. I am toying with a few options now for my next one so I will make a move this winter. JC said it will last 700 hours :p I will refresh every 100 - 150 hours or so... cost depends on what breaks, if anything. One ride and you will want it ;) Anything above a 525 should be supercharged IMO and you will want way more power in a larger, better hull. No better sound than a charger spooled up :cool:

bouyhunter 04-24-2007 05:14 PM

The altitude is pretty wild.
How is that measured?? From GPS location (in the boat) to water surface?
That would certainly explain the feeling when you fall into a "hole" in the water in between waves that you didn't make it to the next crest.

Congrats on a successful loss of virginity in the rough.
It seemed I just grew up with it, and had to learn by fire. Got out somewhere, and it just kicked up before you could get home - or even knew it was coming. You learned real quick.
After awhile it turns into a helluva lot of fun - until you start breaking things.

UNSANE 04-24-2007 06:16 PM

I have a Garmin 76csx. It has a built in altimeter and it sits on the dash of my boat in a cradle.

Masher, the love for big HP is there but must take a back seat to economics. :( At least at this stage of my life. I'll just check things out over the next few months and see if I really want to do anything. Does Activator have a website? Wouldn't mind learning more about them.

bouyhunter 04-24-2007 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by UNSANE (Post 2104734)
I have a Garmin 76csx. It has a built in altimeter and it sits on the dash of my boat in a cradle.

But what exactly is it measuring?? The height from the GPS to the surface (as in trough) of the water??
If I'm coming off like a Dik, I certainly don't mean to, I actually just want to learn what it's reading.
When you see a max hole of 18' that you flew over, that's pretty impresive.
I know running out in 3-5's, 5-7's, the holes could get pretty deep (multiply crest by 2 and add launch air).
And before I open up the whole can of worms about measuring wave height from the horizon, and the wave trough/crest debate, and how the Great Lakes are no comparision to the Ocean debate, I figured I'd ask how that is being measured.

cuda 04-24-2007 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by masher44 (Post 2104140)
:cool:

My last boat was an 03 29 beak with a 525 efi.... difference is night and day to say the least... and I loved my 29.

perfect for you... SSM6 already in place.

100+ mph
200ft rooster tail
no drive issues
rough water proven
cabin
new JC motor
80 hours, 12 on motor

Only 12 hours on the engines??!!! If you're skeered, just say so!:D

bouyhunter 04-24-2007 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by cuda (Post 2104874)

:evilb:

UNSANE 04-24-2007 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2104865)
But what exactly is it measuring?? The height from the GPS to the surface (as in trough) of the water??
If I'm coming off like a Dik, I certainly don't mean to, I actually just want to learn what it's reading.
When you see a max hole of 18' that you flew over, that's pretty impresive.
I know running out in 3-5's, 5-7's, the holes could get pretty deep (multiply crest by 2 and add launch air).
And before I open up the whole can of worms about measuring wave height from the horizon, and the wave trough/crest debate, and how the Great Lakes are no comparision to the Ocean debate, I figured I'd ask how that is being measured.

It's measuring true altitude based upon atmospheric pressure. I knew I was out in some big stuff, but I was floored when I saw the data. (The forecast was for 6-9)It was high tide and the unit was reading about 18 feet above sea level in the inlet and grew to 21 as I approached the ocean. That inlet uses locks to minimize the tide effects because of all the cruise ships and NASA stuff there and the water just pushes up when there's a big easterly push like on Sat. So when I got outside, I was dropping into big holes. I remember looking to my left towards my dad and seeing water way above his head. That's when I announced that we were pushing our luck and began the long sweeping turn back towards the inlet making sure I was lined up for a straight run in. You can see my speeds change as I'm turning east, then to the north. The swells were coming from the NE. The unit takes a reading every few seconds, so sometimes it was reading while I was in a hole or up in the air and the boat did launch. I aggravated my old neck injury from the run. There was more than once the boat just plain dropped into a hole. Florida may not be known as a place with big waves, but when we get those Nor easters, it does get ugly. I've been to Daytona Beach in Feb and couldn't even walk on the beach becuase the water was past it and approaching some of the hotel parking lots:eek:

Pretty soon, all of this will calm down and it will be safe............almost boring out there:D

masher44 04-24-2007 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by cuda (Post 2104874)

actually 12.5 after last week and out again tomorrow testing props so 13.... d1nk:evilb:

and it is scary