Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Rough water baptism (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156633-rough-water-baptism.html)

UNSANE 04-24-2007 08:41 AM

Rough water baptism

1 Attachment(s)
Forecasts called for 6 to 9 last Sat, but I at least wanted to take a look so I headed out Canaveral Inlet and it was 3 max in the inlet so I went ahead and headed out. Then it got a whole lot bigger!:eek: And messy. I turned south and quartered the waves and was able to run about 40. After about a minute of that I started to make a sweep around to the left to get back to the inlet's channel and run straight in. Once we passed the jeti, things started to calm down and I was able to speed up to around 55 and launch safely and funly (that a word?) until I hit the no wake zone. I was most afraid of stuffing it and the boat teased me a little bit on that one, but overall I think it did a good job. And BTW both my dad and I were wearing our cool custom "tailored" Lifelines and I was wearing my lanyard as well as a pair of gloves for grip because we did get wet!

Now I will never seek that kind of water out again, but at least if it ever comes up on me by surprise, at least it won't be a total surprise. I was running my drive around neutral and my tabs were on 4 to 4.5 on the indicators. (29 Fountain) Is that about right? Always looking for more info in case I come across water like that again. Was quartering a good idea? I was able to make more speed, but she teased me a little bit on the stuffing issue. When it did tease me, I backed off the stick real quick and touched up the drive a tad.

Maybe thinking about a boat better built for rough water next year as well. Might be willing to sacrifice the nice cabin and amenities. I'm looking for opinions on rough water boats, 30' or less, single engine, and not a bank breaker:D Just curious about brands like Pantera and Activator.

BTW, here is my GPS data from part of the "run". Notice the Altimeter readings:eek:

THEJOKER 04-24-2007 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one would work fine.

NoQuarter 04-24-2007 09:01 AM

Wow!:eek:

What a wild 5 minute ride. The altitude readings are shocking. Keep my name if you are thinking of selling. Where is 'O-Town'?

UNSANE 04-24-2007 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998 (Post 2104016)
Wow!:eek:

What a wild 5 minute ride. The altitude readings are shocking. Keep my name if you are thinking of selling. Where is 'O-Town'?

I should post the other 5 minutes of heading back in!!! (Laptop is at home though) O town is short for Orlando Fl.

kennyo 04-24-2007 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Smiklos (Post 2104080)
That is a hard boat to master in the rough. It has a wide beam and plenty of flat surfaces.
Steve

Not to mention the ass of that boat is already about under water!

masher44 04-24-2007 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:cool:

My last boat was an 03 29 beak with a 525 efi.... difference is night and day to say the least... and I loved my 29.

perfect for you... SSM6 already in place.

100+ mph
200ft rooster tail
no drive issues
rough water proven
cabin
new JC motor
80 hours, 12 on motor

THEJOKER 04-24-2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by masher44 (Post 2104140)
:cool:

My last boat was an 03 29 beak with a 525 efi.... difference is night and day to say the least... and I loved my 29.

perfect for you... SSM6 already in place.

100+ mph
200ft rooster tail
no drive issues
rough water proven
cabin
new JC motor
80 hours, 12 on motor

sick!

masher44 04-24-2007 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER (Post 2104146)
sick!

wish I had some photos of slightly rougher water like your pic:eek: :cool:

masher44 04-24-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Smiklos (Post 2104080)
That is a hard boat to master in the rough. It has a wide beam and plenty of flat surfaces.
Steve

I had both my 24CS and 29 out on Lake Ontario in ROUGH water.... 5 to 6 easily... I found the 29 to handle up to 3s very well the faster I went. The 24CS was crazy in that water.... I literally flew it at about 70 in 3 footers and stained my shorts....:eek:

fubar260 04-24-2007 02:58 PM

those elevations on the GPS are pretty sweet. bet that was fun :cool: