Notices

Stereo ??

Old 04-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo ??

Looking at new head units with USB ports ,but not real clear to me.From what I gather you can use a memory stick or plug into MP3 player with a cord and be able to scroll music.I have two creative Zen MP3 units one has a bad 3mm plug,thought if this USB thing would work I could use it just in the boat.I was looking at a Sony GT610UI. Anyone??
Old 04-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered

I just installed a Sony headunit in my Formula this weekend. It too, has a USB port in the front. I was told I can just plug my flash drive into it, but haven't had the opportunity yet.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Registered

Yup . usb on the face. Been a popular head this year so far. ipod cable usb and mini aux in on the front panel makes it easy to jack anything in! I have some kenwood with usb also. I have a iomega 80 gig usb drive , gonna take it to work tomorrow and try it on my sony display.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Registered

I bought a Pioneer for my truck late last year because it had the iPod scroll/ control features (just like the click wheel) built into the unit and the remote. I don't know if the new competing brands now have this. I did not find it appealing to scroll through all 5000 songs to get to something I wanted to hear.

The Pioneer is VERY bright, even with the LED face dimmed. The backlights, however, do not dim and are somewhat distracting. In town, I do not notiice it; but long hauls, I cover it up with my hat to block the annoying glare. On a boat, as long as it is not in the line of sight for night driving, it would put of a cool glow.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Registered

I bought a JVC head unit last year with a USB port right on the front of it. It is a pain to scroll through all those songs sequentially, especially when there are over 150 songs on my girlfriend's IPOD Shuffle. What worked for me is to burn all the songs on the IPOD as MP3's to one CD, or even better yet to multiple CD's based on what time of day, or mood we are in for what genre of music we want to listen to. I found out that you can burn about 150 MP3 songs to a single CD. Of course if you are out on the water riding hard then flash memory doesn't skip like CD's do. I prefer not to listen to my stereo when I'm riding hard because I'd rather listen to my engines purr and also listen for anything that goes wrong on the boat.

Another problem with having our IPOD plugged into the front of the receiver is that ours almost got whacked off by someone not paying attention moving around in my boat. I always worry about someone stealing it too when I'm docked somewhere and people are walking across my boat.

Also, make sure your IPOD or flash drive has the right song format on it. I went to play mine last year and only about 10 percent of my songs played because 90 percent were in the wrong file format that my JVC Receiver could not recognize.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Registered

sony reads mp3 , wma , and aac formats. Think that should cover it.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Can the Sony above use a corded remote? I would like to have one on back of boat to control volume from outside.