Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   does MERC rebuild drives? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156854-does-merc-rebuild-drives.html)

pstorti 04-27-2007 07:21 AM

You probably bought a stolen drive.

OldSchool 04-27-2007 07:32 AM

:eureka: :eureka:

Originally Posted by pstorti (Post 2107855)
You probably bought a stolen drive.

gsmith9898 04-27-2007 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2107602)
Is this the drive you are selling???? Is it messed up or just look bad. (I've been looking for a cheap spare, can get it fixed, and don't really care what it looks like)

Russ C.

No I just sold the upper part of this drive to a guy AS IS. I just told the guy I would try to find out more about it.

dollerparts 04-27-2007 08:04 AM

also when you buy a new reman it is consider a part there fore it does not have a serial # or gear ratio on the side

copiercat 04-27-2007 09:41 AM

i bought a couple of these so called reman's xr's uppers, through land and sea , they dont come with a serial number or stickers just a reman sticker that does peel off, we inspected and inquired as too whats up as when we checked them over there was nothing used in them, was told by merc that when there is a warrantee issue this is the replacement and they just call them reman for whatever reason..
i also have a good used bravo 1:50 upper cheap as well as one blowed up but have a good set of gears for it 1:36

bcfountain 05-02-2007 11:29 AM

re-man drives???

Originally Posted by 99fever27 (Post 2107484)
I have a merc rebuilt upper and it say's quicksilver on it.

hey matt,i see where you have a upper re-man drive on your fountain.have you had good with it?last week trying my new prop we talked about,i ran over a submeressed tug -boat rope.did a number on the drive......broke some stuff in the drive.insurance is replacing the drive with a merc re-man.good stuff,or junk??brad

99fever27 05-02-2007 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by bcfountain (Post 2113730)
hey matt,i see where you have a upper re-man drive on your fountain.have you had good with it?last week trying my new prop we talked about,i ran over a submeressed tug -boat rope.did a number on the drive......broke some stuff in the drive.insurance is replacing the drive with a merc re-man.good stuff,or junk??brad

Hey Brad sorry to hear of the bad news. I bought the reman drive last year through a Merc dealer and they installed it. I had all of about 4hrs on the new upper when I lost the cone clutch. I was in Michigan at the time (on vacation). Luckily I found a dealer that repaired it for me the very next day. Merc WOULD NOT cover the repair, even though it had only a few hrs since new upper was installed. They said it was due to high speed shift or airing the boat out. None of wich happend!
I havent had a problem since the last rebuild (20hrs) ago. For the price of the reman and then the rebuild I could have bought a XR.:rolleyes:
Good luck

bcfountain 05-03-2007 07:46 AM

thats a shame about the merc not covering you.i hope i dont have the same problem.the guy that is handling the insurance claim said merc,or it may be quicksilver,said it was the way togo......i just wonder what my insurance$$ will be like next year

bgchuby01 05-03-2007 08:23 AM

Gary I find it hard to believe that a rebuilt part from Merc would have peeling paint and no numbers. I hope that someone did not scam you.

copiercat 05-03-2007 01:55 PM

My Starboard Reman Broke After 4 Hours Of Run Time And When They Pulled It Off The Drive Shaft Fell Out And Hit The Mechanic In The Foot.apparntly The Nut That Holds The Shaft In On The Inside Came Off And Turned Itself Into Shrapnell And Trashed Upper And Lower.i Got The Word Today That They Are Warranteing The Upper And A New Lower As Well