Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   trailering (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156976-trailering.html)

Hot Duck 04-28-2007 10:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We keep our boat on a dry davit at the marina during the summer and they simply put it in the water with a fork lift when we want to use it. It stays on the trailer in the winter and we also trailer it when we want to take it anywhere else. Trailering is no problem as long as you take your time and take care of your equipment.

Pete 330 - 45' Apache

PWRQWST 04-28-2007 10:46 PM

I have pulled a boat since I owned one, no problem if set up correctly. I pull a 38 PQ with a 2005 Duramax and pull 30 minutes every week to 4.5hours (LOTO) at least once a month. Good luck.

Rich.

BBB725 04-29-2007 05:55 AM

I always trailer. A couple pointers, practice launching the boat go to the ramp at off hours and get a routine down. Find out how deep the trailer needs to be and are you going to drive the boat on the trailer? Also a prelaunch is needed for dock lines, fenders, drain plug, blower etc.... When pulling out I always wipe the whole boat down while my wife picks up the inside, keeps it clean for next time. On a busy weekend your fellow boaters will be happy you can get in and out fast. Check where you can get fuel for the boat, make sure the truck and trailer can get in and out of the station.

Sydwayz 04-29-2007 08:23 AM

I always trailer. No problems with a 37' Active Thunder behind a F-350 4x4 Dually.

As long as you have the right equipment, you are golden. There is no such thing as "too much truck." 4x4 is a MUST!! Some ramps are slicker than ice when wet and full of algae. Don't skimp on your trailer either. It will bite you in the end.

tuffenuff355 04-29-2007 10:24 AM

guys thanks for the advise , the boat launch is about 5/6 miles from my house, and would be pulling my 24 with a ford expedition 5.4. the only thing ill miss from keeping it in the water is my short blasts to the bar/resturant. I guess ill just use it on weekends and make sure i make a whole day of it , definatly going to miss hanging around the marina with my freinds. I just had the boat redone and would like to keep it looking nice and also ive been pinching out of the dock space fund on extras for the boat, and plan on getting a custom made full cover instead

hunster 04-29-2007 09:47 PM

I've done both. I think trailering is better for the boat then wet docking for sure. I live less than a mile from the ramp too. Towing 29 scarab with the same expy , boat weighs 5500 and 1500 for the trailer I'm still under. Peeps at the ramp freak and ask If I need help when I show up by myself but I have the routine down and find it easy to launch and retrieve with the float on trailer I have. Tow across jersey for a fresh water flush in the delaware and a ride to philly once in a while. No problem on the highway.

Revd Up 04-29-2007 09:57 PM

I also trailer mine. Like others have said , make sure to maintain your equipment so you don't have any problems on the road. I like the versitility of being able to go anywhere I want. Like t500tps, mine also is kept indoors and is great for keeping it like new. If going somewhere new get a map of the lake to check depth or just ask the fishermen for hazzardous spots.
Hot Duck...........NICE RIG , WOW!!

tblrklakemo 04-29-2007 10:00 PM

My only suggestion is that you find a nice smooth ramp with a courtesy dock along it. I backed the boat within a foot of the ramp and guide it by hand myself and tie up while I park. This way you can float it on by hand and never have to worry about needing two people for anything.

Griff 04-29-2007 10:39 PM

It took me no more time to trailer my 28 Pantera and put it in the garage than it did to tie it up and cover it in my slip. Same with launching it. Other than the occassional 15 min wait at the ramp, I prefer to trailer. In other areas though, I hear the ramps are packed and waiting can be hours.