Notices

Ol Headed to Malta instead of Pickwick

Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ol Headed to Malta instead of Pickwick

OUTERLIMITS FOCUSES ON POWERBOAT P1, PASSES ON PICKWICK

After a resounding win over the Fountain Team at last week’s Greer’s Ferry race and upon re-examination of the Offshore Super Series (OSS) schedule and composition, Outerlimits Powerboats has opted not to attend the May 5-6 OSS race in Pickwick, Tennessee. “We simply do not believe that racing against one other boat in our class is in the true competitive spirit of racing,” said Joe Sgro, Outerlimits’ racing partner, “We will decide what other races we may run in the future, but we are not in the hunt for the National Points Championship.”

Mike Fiore, founder and president of Outerlimits, decided earlier this year to field a team in the European Powerboat P1 circuit, a sizable commitment which included altering the canopy of the new SV-40, the 2006 OSS Vee National and World Champion, to suit the European specifications. With Mercury Racing as a sponsor and utilizing its new 662 SCi engines, approved for emissions compliance in Europe, Outerlimits has located its race boat, support vehicles and a race shop near Manheim, Germany.

Fiore then built a new SV-40 with two passenger seats for the OSS circuit so it could be a prototype for a new Poker Run model. “Toward the end of creating a new saleable model, the investment in U.S. racing was worthwhile,” Fiore states, “But with the continued division of the various sanctioning bodies, the truly competitive field we anticipated did not materialize. We see little reason to continue our U.S. participation--we’re not out to race one boat or manufacturer.”

Outerlimits will review other races on the OSS schedule, but for the foreseeable future, Fiore and Sgro will focus on the rigors of the Powerboat P1 circuit that includes a two-day event with two classes, Evolution Class for prototypes, where Outerlimits will race, and SuperSport Class for production models. The first day is an endurance race while the second is a sprint-style ”rally” race with tight turns on a designated course. Points are awarded each day and averaged for the event win. While the field is comprised of a variety of manufacturers, including American brands, Outerlimits is the only U.S. manufacturer sponsoring a Powerboat P1 race team. All races are held in prime oceanfront locations throughout Europe, starting in Malta, then Naples, Italy, Travemunde, Germany, Cowes, UK, Zeebrugee, Belgium and Portimao, Portugal. The estimated live audience for the 2006 season was over 280,000 spectators at the festival-like race sites. A UK-based television production company, Greenlight, will air the races in 70 countries; satellite feeds will be available in the U.S.

“We feel it makes more sense to focus our racing effort where it will be truly appreciated, seen by a larger audience and open new markets for us,” said Fiore, “We’re a competitive group and we’re ready to go racing!”
Old 05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't quite explain why..... but this post made me chuckle....

Ya gotta love the statement....... and the thought process behind it..... is very, VERY, clever.

If this were a chess game.......... OL would be using the word "Check"............ now let's see who get's to utter the word "mate"........

T2x
Old 05-02-2007, 12:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

So, the way that I perceive that is That Reggie can run the season by himself in his own organization and then take out a two-page ad that Fountain is the WORLD CHAMPION......While OL goes across the pond and does some real racing.

It's a shame that racing in the US is so messed up. I can remember how much fun it was to watch it on TV on saturday mornings about 5 years ago.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
So, the way that I perceive that is That Reggie can run the season by himself in his own organization and then take out a two-page ad that Fountain is the WORLD CHAMPION......While OL goes across the pond and does some real racing.

It's a shame that racing in the US is so messed up. I can remember how much fun it was to watch it on TV on saturday mornings about 5 years ago.
You could have not perceived or worded it better for that matter, that is exactly what they are doing.... and I applaud them...
Donzi lead that movement starting in 2004 just as the APBA/SBI Reggie-Fest-circle-jerk was just getting steamy...

Not sure I agree with Fiore's decision to put himself & company out there for a big fall early on if things don't go as planned... but I do read into & appreciate his candor.

Dam'it... I do remember those days of rolling over in bed on a sat, or sunday to find some hard hittin offshore action on SPEED!!!! blahhhh!

Last edited by Donzi38ZR; 05-02-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Best of luck to Mike and Joe. Joe bring some good veal with you and teach them how to eat over there
Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

just get the FREEZE FRAMEDVD monthly club its like xmass at the end of the month and after 2yrs you will have 24dvds no commericals I hated that every two seconds another one .what I think is messing stuff up is the class chance with the 850s ,in sc it seems a lot of drivers went to the new OPS another club oh well thank God for OPA thats all I want to watch real boats racing, and guys not changing the rules in between races, aka last yrs worlds oss SC with 6'' to short rule after the poor guy ran all yr. well can't wait to see the euro racing on TV like last yr now that OL IS IN THE MIX. ART
Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't blame them .... the racing has sucked here for a few years now .... and this year seems to be worse .... Whats the point ? Additionally , I'm anxious to see the new SV40 poker run boat . Good luck over there guys .
Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't blame them either , that takes a huge committment to go across the pond. I also know that BAD APPLE will not go and race by himself. I would think he would now turn to SBI in his own backyard.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW good luck Joe and Mike..... If you need a tour guide of Malta I'd love to go back I was just there 2 months ago for my honeymoon!

Plus my husband speaks fluent Maltese and knows how to wrench too!!!!

Last edited by SpeedGirl; 05-02-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:15 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I don't blame them either , that takes a huge committment to go across the pond. I also know that BAD APPLE will not go and race by himself. I would think he would now turn to SBI in his own backyard.
For years I've been a voice in the dark......while the cheerleaders and marching bands strutted and huffed. Well, It's is becoming sadly obvious even to the most polyanna like adherents:

The golf shirted marketing types are carrying the day....

and

True Offshore racing is slip sliding away.

T2x

Quick Reply: Ol Headed to Malta instead of Pickwick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.