Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sea Pump delima (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/157308-sea-pump-delima.html)

alcor 05-02-2007 04:49 PM

Sea Pump delima

After making a high speed pass, I pull the throttle off to one engine to check spark plugs and slowly pulled back on the other engine idling in the rest of teh way to teh dock on one engine. Put it on the trailier and took it home.

Pulled the plugs, look fine. Started the engine to flush it out and no water came out of the mufflers. Checked the through hull pick-up valve, it was open. Started it again, no water out of the mufflers. Pump was turning. Decided to close the through valve to force water into the pump; you know how water comes out of the pick-up till the engine starts when flushing. Water came out through the muifflers fine. Shut it down, opened the through hull valve and started it again; no water out of mufflers; all water coming out of the hull pick-up looks like to me. Best I can figure is shutting that engine down at high speed forcde water against something in the system any thoughts?

f311fr1 05-02-2007 06:25 PM

Sounds like you need an impeller.

alcor 05-02-2007 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by f311fr1 (Post 2114395)
Sounds like you need an impeller.

BINGO! That was my thought as well. Pulled the pump, only thing left was the hub of the impeller with two ears; missing 6 "ears". Took the transmission cooler and oil coilers off and found what was left of those. New impeller and we are back in teh Tickfaw 200 this weekend. For what it's worth, they only ahd about 40 hours on those impellers since new a couple of years ago. Lesson; change them every couple of years whether you think they need it or not as far as I'm, concerned.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to bed!

razor1115 05-03-2007 09:52 AM

I just replaced one Tuesday for the "better safe than sorry" reason. One vein had tore off the impeller, but luckily was in the pump housing.

I got a whole new pump kit. The mechanic stated that MerCruiser had gone to a new pump (different supplier?). He said, "Keep an eye on it and let me know how it works out."

The new pump housing does not seem as robust as the one I replaced. It seems thinner/lighter. It may work fine, but I will watch closely. That said, we may want people to keep an eye on these until they prove themselves capable. I do not want to be a proving grounds or guinea pig for a pump change that may not be as robust as its predecessor!

Just passing some first hand knowledge...

Zack

Strip Poker 388 05-03-2007 12:36 PM

Make sure you get ALL the old pieces of the impleller out of the lines/cooler.

Also I found out on mine that the boat has to be all the way in the water not just the water inlet on the foot ,or it will burn a impeller .

razor1115 05-28-2007 07:43 AM

New pumps did not work. They would not prime. Mechanic said I must have the lines reversed:rolleyes: He put one in another boat later that week, and it didn't work. He sent them all back to the suppler.