Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reasonable request regarding silent choice use? >

Reasonable request regarding silent choice use?

Notices

Reasonable request regarding silent choice use?

Old 05-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before, and it's usually not popular, but the "Screw him...start it at 6 am and rev it to the limiters" type of comments are perfect examples of the attitude that will lead only to more noise laws...and even more hatred of performance boats.

You've got to keep in mind that for every one of us that loves the sound of dry pipes, there are 100 others out there who find it annoying.

I'd use the silent choice around the docks, regardless of whether it's 12 noon or 3 am. You already have it, what's the harm in using it?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a chicken****.

Ask the pres if you could talk to the person directly to try and smooth things over. Explain you are a nice guy and just want to be at the lake relaxing and doing your own thing - and not worrying about what your neighbors are doing. You are not intentionally trying to bother anyone. Also inform them that they are lucky it is you and your boat because it could be worse.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill 3
What a chicken****.

Ask the pres if you could talk to the person directly to try and smooth things over. Explain you are a nice guy and just want to be at the lake relaxing and doing your own thing - and not worrying about what your neighbors are doing. You are not intentionally trying to bother anyone. Also inform them that they are lucky it is you and your boat because it could be worse.
It was the pres all along. After I told him it wasnt me in the morning he said "well there are some people who arent down here yet, but will be and they will certainly be in yo azz about the noise." Oh well, I can be kinda quite in the cove to avoid this ***** in the future. But you, Bill, can come by and drop anchor with motors going and sit for a while just across the cove. It really is a nice place to do that anyway.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
I'd use the silent choice around the docks, regardless of whether it's 12 noon or 3 am. You already have it, what's the harm in using it?

Because there is nothing better than starting those engines with the exhaust all drained back and for a few seconds sounding like dry pipes.

I have a few uptight neighbors. I heard of one asking another if the noise from the dock late at night (midnight or so) bothered them. The response he gave was, " if it was during the week and all the time, it would bother me, but these people are just here relaxing and having fun......" Work hard - play hard!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Registered

What happened to "common courtesy" when it comes to powerboating?

Since not everyone enjoys the rumble of "big blocks" in the morning,
what's wrong with turning off the "pipes" around residential areas, regardless of the time of day?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I say we all come to Table Rock and have a regatta in your cove. Let him know what loud really is.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

We all need to keep it quiet in the harbors and marinas. CMI make a great muffler that opens at 3000 rpm.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by aquatictherapy
I say we all come to Table Rock and have a regatta in your cove. Let him know what loud really is.
I will gladly provide to non drivers, and BBQ for everbody involved..........if we can all start up the motors when I know the guy is there.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:52 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61
What happened to "common courtesy" when it comes to powerboating?

Since not everyone enjoys the rumble of "big blocks" in the morning,
what's wrong with turning off the "pipes" around residential areas, regardless of the time of day?

Well, if it was the "morning" I would certainly close things off. But the morning soon turned to all the time. I suppose we are the minority since we like the music....what ever happened to minority rights?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Registered

We lost 'em when the Harbor Patrol showed up

You are quite correct however, that when you give someone an inch, they then want a mile!
But sometimes it's better to loose the battles in the harbor, and to win the war in the open sea!

Quick Reply: Reasonable request regarding silent choice use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.