Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reasonable request regarding silent choice use? >

Reasonable request regarding silent choice use?

Notices

Reasonable request regarding silent choice use?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:18 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Sometimes I wish I could sleep until 11:00.
Sleeping in late for me is 8:30-9:00 - and that is late!!
Usually up by 7:00 on the weekend. And I thought that was sleeping in.

If you're firing up at 9:00-10-00 I think you should be fine.
You're being very considerate by even asking the silent choice question.
Thank you, Bouy. That is why a lot of boats have it IMO. I dont sleep in late either....especially at the lake, but I also dont get out on the water until 11 or noon. I wont be tip toeing around on saturday at 11-12 in the afternoon b/c one person sleeps that late.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:26 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Just got an email from the pres. He said: "I dont know when you have been out on the water, so maybe the timeframe was mixed up. Yes, your boat is loud. If you could keep it silent while in the cove I would appreciate it."

Thats all he had to say.

But the middle of the afternoon....come on!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

If Im concerned I might offend people with the noise....... start up/si choice on.......warmup/on......idle out/on......holeshot/on ......bow comes over on plane/open

Returning......driving around/open.......as soon as I drop off plane.....choice on
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Thank you, Bouy. That is why a lot of boats have it IMO. I dont sleep in late either....especially at the lake, but I also dont get out on the water until 11 or noon. I wont be tip toeing around on saturday at 11-12 in the afternoon b/c one person sleeps that late.
Very Welcome.
I was running a 454 with straight exhaust - loudest boat in a small conservative marina. I was on the boat 6 nights a week, and actually took it out 3-4 nights. I still started it and revved it every night - making sure the batteries were charged
Everyone knew it was me, and they came to accept it. I wasn't obnoxious about it, just making sure my boat was good.
I was also friendly with my dock neighbors no matter what they were running - they love the water too. I think that made the biggest difference. I had a couple docked two slips away that only bought a boat because she had Cancer, and always wanted a boat. They bought a 21' Bayliner, and we always talked around the docks - great couple. They knew that I was just "doing my thing".

My only thought is:
Try to be considerate, but if they are unreasonable F-em.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes no matter what you do the guys still going to complain. Alot of times its jealousy. I have a neighbor who lives up the creek from me and i've never been past his house in my boat come over and ask if i could go in and out of the creek on one engine. This was 3 years ago. I always drop my boat in from the lift and idle down the creek for the engines to warm up and come home drop off plane a few houses down and go right in the lift and kill it. I told him before i ran on one engine he needed to wear one earplug in his down creek ear or move to a mill pond somewhere. His kayak floated off his pier during a storm last year and i caught it as it went by and took it back to him. Now he waves all the time. Go figure!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Registered

You're always going to have the jackasses that complain, no matter how polite you are with silent choice. My advise is to take the higher ground. Run silent when around the cove/docks, and open it up once you are out and running in open water. As much satisfaction as you get from spinning the stern toward the "complainer" and blasting him with straight pipes, you're only going to screw yourself by pissing off the other neighbors that had no issue with you. Don't give him any ammunition or support from other neighbors, and everyone will look at him as the beligerant ****, not you.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sleeping in to 11am, ( What the hell, is he a guy or a CAT ?)

Loud boats?? Sounds like he is envious.. Does he own a Bayliner by chance??

Solution, Install headers with Drypipes & berth your boat with the transom facing his bedroom window. Then start it up @ 5am for an early morning ride everyday for a week before you go to work.. Then next time you go for a spin @ 11 am he will leave you alone..

I got tired of the same type of BS up here on one of our local lakes.. I said the hell with it.. I now try to go to the Chesapeake Bay as much as possible.. It is too bad some people are kill joys..

Jamie / Lakeside
Old 05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by DONZI33
Sleeping in to 11am, ( What the hell, is he a guy or a CAT ?)

Loud boats?? Sounds like he is envious.. Does he own a Bayliner by chance??

Solution, Install headers with Drypipes & berth your boat with the transom facing his bedroom window. Then start it up @ 5am for an early morning ride everyday for a week before you go to work.. Then next time you go for a spin @ 11 am he will leave you alone..

I got tired of the same type of BS up here on one of our local lakes.. I said the hell with it.. I now try to go to the Chesapeake Bay as much as possible.. It is too bad some people are kill joys..

Jamie / Lakeside

Amen to that. I am a nice guy, and will try to avoid confrontation. But I dont appreciate stupid demands. Unfortunately I will cave into this request. The one other guy with a performance boat has exhaust running through a couple of angles and it dumps just at water line when sitting or idle.....there is nobody there with anything near as loud as my fountain. I guess some grouchy neighbors just need a ride.

Bill, please come by the back of the cove early some day and let both motors do their job. Thx
Old 05-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

take it to the rev limiters one day and go , WE CAN BE LOUDER IF YOU LIKE.
SMILE AND WAVE BOYS, JUST SMILE AND WAVE
Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Why did he go straight to the HOA instead of you?

I would knock on his door and say "All you had to do is ask" and walk away...
I think it was the pres of the HOA himself...just didnt want to seem like that "guy."

I told him the time mix up, and he said "well...your boat is loud, and some people that arent down here yet but will be wont like it and will be in your azz about it." It was just his way of asking me indirectly.

Quick Reply: Reasonable request regarding silent choice use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.