Notices

Best Marine Batteries?

Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best Marine Batteries?

Hey guys,

Been reading posts on here for a while, but never actually wrote anything. I am going to be replacing my batteries. Just wondering what everyone else is using. Blue top optima's? I have 2-1000 watt alpine amps and some large lights as well. I have read that the optimas aren't that great when running stereos, is that true? Tell me what you guys have had good luck with!

Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to autozone and bought the biggest marine batteries they had. $70 a pop, a lot cheaper than optimas and they work great for me. I have a few amps on my boat as well.

I replaced one battery last year and one this year. I didn't want to replace them both at once, because I don't want them both to go bad at once.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big yellow ones from Wal Mart.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Instead of optima's I would buy 2 of the biggest marine deep cycle you can fit and a starting battery, run the 2 deep cycles together for your stereo and other accessories and save the starter battery for starting hence the name starting battery

Wally world's batteries are made by Johnson Controls which is a good battery manufacturer (including optima), I have multiple amps in my boat and have had good luck with their batteries

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/
Old 05-07-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty much all lead-acid batteries are the same. The only difference is the brand name and the cost- the longer the warranty, the higher the price. The Optima will definitely be more forgiving of high engine compartment heat (not an issue in a boat) and impact/vibration (more of an issue). Most people who have issues with Optimas bought the wrong battery. If you cycle starting batteries a few times, you'll dramatically impact their performance and lifespan. High peak curents on deep-cycle batteries (like starting) isn't good either. Optimas will be more sensitive to being kept charged as well. If you've got a current drain and you're running your cranking batteries down, you're really killing them.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
The big yellow ones from Wal Mart.

Ditto,

I have 3 in my boat for my stereo. Be sure to check "amp hours". This will give you an estimate on power. These are designed for trolling motors, which,most, demand alot of power. They are not as "hip" as the Optima's but who care, really. So, they cannot be mounted sideways or upside down, big deal. I don't think you will be disappointed one bit with the yellow deep cycles from Wal-Mart. 2 would be plenty for that system. I run 3 amps and I am going down to 2 batss this year...
Old 05-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I have two Taylor aluminum battery boxes, so you don't see them anyway. I just want something reliable that can handle abuse.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Odyssey batteries are the absolute best.
Optoma's tend to fail recently - they are not reliable in a boat as in the past. New mfg?? Anyhow - something has changed with them.

Want the best? Odyssey! http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillR
Odyssey batteries are the absolute best.
Optoma's tend to fail recently - they are not reliable in a boat as in the past. New mfg?? Anyhow - something has changed with them.

Want the best? Odyssey! http://www.odysseybatteries.com/
I just installed 2 Odyssey 1200's with the metal jacket. They claim a 7-8 year service life ... I've had bad luck with the standard marine batterys the past few years!

Time will tell ?

Bob
Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Registered

I use a Stinger Dry Cell Battery for my stereo. I can play it for 2 days without a re-charge (2 Kicker amps). That battery is isolated from the starting battery until the engine is running, so after playing all day I can still start. When the engine's running, the circuit is open so the stereo battery can re-charge.

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/pr....asp?strID=180

PM me if you want more info on these.

Quick Reply: Best Marine Batteries?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.