Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   clearcoat over gel (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/157873-clearcoat-over-gel.html)

ROB FREEMAN 05-09-2007 06:29 PM

clearcoat over gel

hi guys have a question , ive got a friend that does excellent grapics , my ony question is can he do the work and then clear coat over the graphics and if so what products would be the best to use , id like to do it but dont want to screw up my fountain very concerned so id like some input please , bst clear , paint ext , or stay clear , thanks rob

Canada Jeff 05-10-2007 05:40 AM

I had an all red 24 Chalenger 94 that was gell coat. It faded some so I was talked into clearing the top cap to bring back the color and shine. It did do that, but a side efect was all the little stress cracks turned black! Don't ask me why, but was told by some after that, that is what happens. For what thats worth to yah.

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 05-11-2007 09:08 AM

BASF Diamont... ;) Jamie / Lakeside

ROB FREEMAN 05-11-2007 01:40 PM

helping

is this a spray app , clean sand and lay type product , will it yellow , so many questions any help will be greatly appreciated . thanks lakeside ,

Maritime_Eng 05-11-2007 01:50 PM

I have done this twice with mixed results. First was on a 1987 23 wellcraft nova and the other was on a 1989 242 formula. The wellcraft turned out nice. The formula on the other hand was a pain in the ass and we actually had to repaint some of the colors.

One word of advice is that prep is the most important step in the process. make sure you get all the old wax off of the gel. If you don't you will have places that form fish eye's and will have to redo the clear again.

After re clearing this these two boats and also doing a couple of complete paint jobs on boats I would recommend spend the extra money and doing a complet job. You will be much happier with the final results.

ROB FREEMAN 05-11-2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DONZI33 (Post 2124429)
Dupont Diamont... ;) Jamie / Lakeside

do we have a part number just called body shop supply they never heard of it ? they also called dupont rep and they were puzzled too thanks for the help

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 05-11-2007 02:59 PM

Rob, My bad... :chimp: I don't know what I was thinking....:drink:

I just checked my system's notes..... It's BASF, Diamont.. Not Dupont Diamont.. Sorry about that.. Jamie / Lakeside

MonsterDave 05-11-2007 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN (Post 2122432)
hi guys have a question , ive got a friend that does excellent grapics , my ony question is can he do the work and then clear coat over the graphics and if so what products would be the best to use , id like to do it but dont want to screw up my fountain very concerned so id like some input please , bst clear , paint ext , or stay clear , thanks rob

Rob, you might want to send a PM to Glassdave. Good guy. Done lots of nice jobs on boats. Sure he could offer some good advice as well as many others on this forum.

glassdave 05-11-2007 07:33 PM

Thanks MD always glad to help, PM recieved and returned :D for what its worth i dont know why you would risk just putting clear over gel. on white it is possible to get away with sometimes, but generally there still is a chance it will fade under the clear. as long as its prepped why not spend the extra little bit of time and freshen up the color, give your self a liitle piece of mind to. :cool:

quick coat of bonding clear
couple coats of basecoat color
splash on the clear of your choice (i like PPG's DCU-2021 but have heard great things about diamont)
piece-o-cake :D

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 05-11-2007 08:45 PM

Dave, nothing against you.. I have heard you do good work also.. ;)

I dont see him having an issue with doing graphics in base/clear if the prep work is done right.. and his white is in good shape to use as the base canvas to lay custom graphics over.. As far as if he is looking to just shine up the white due to heavy oxidation and add graphics while at it, then I would agree with you, its better off to redo the white over while doing the graphics rather than to just clear along with graphics..

I recomended the Diamont because we have used it & I know Donzi & some other Mfgs use it over the white gel & vinylester with very good results & adhesion.. Thats also one reason why I like it.. That being said we have done some units in high end PPG both base clear & some in single stage urethane and also had good results long term.. I guess it's a matter of preference.. Lately I have been all Dupont & BASF products for my paint work & repairs with rare exception.. The PPG guys that distribute it up here have been a PITA to deal with lately..

;) Have a good weekend guys.. Jamie / Lakeside :)