Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Documentation Question >

Boat Documentation Question

Notices

Boat Documentation Question

Old 05-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

The name and hailing port need to be 4" The fine is $10,000. I would not chance going out without the name. The numbers need to be permanently mounted in the boat as to cause damage if removed. I just went through this. I am using some temporary vinyl lettering for the name until my grapihics come in. The numbers can be 3" and clear painted/resined over to make them permanent in the bilge area.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
The numbers can be 3" and clear painted/resined over to make them permanent in the bilge area.
Yup....i did that for a friends powerquest...just get the numbers in vinyl and stick them in the bilge area...mask around them with the blue painters tape and some plastic incase of any runs...and mix up a cup of epoxy resin...then just use a brush and cover them all up....wait about 10min for the resin to just start kicking and peel off the tape/plastic and your good to go
You can see them in the back of the picture of the motors....the color difference is the resin ontop of the numbers...
Attached Thumbnails Boat Documentation Question-dsc01214.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
The name and hailing port need to be 4" The fine is $10,000. I would not chance going out without the name. The numbers need to be permanently mounted in the boat as to cause damage if removed. I just went through this. I am using some temporary vinyl lettering for the name until my grapihics come in. The numbers can be 3" and clear painted/resined over to make them permanent in the bilge area.
ok... let me make sure I am straight on mine.

My boat is CG documented and registered in Texas.

So I need:

1. Name and hailing port in 4 inch on the back of the boat.
2. State sticker on outside of boat (no numbers)
3. CG #s inside the bilge with a clear over them of some kind.

I do not need the state numbers on the outside of boat?
Since I am registered in TX as well, do I need the ID # inside the bilge?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ca$hed Out
That is the other problem I have....says the letters need to be 4". I will never make that happen on my transom
there is zero room on mine
Attached Thumbnails Boat Documentation Question-1248940869_l.jpg  
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44
ok... let me make sure I am straight on mine.

My boat is CG documented and registered in Texas.

So I need:

1. Name and hailing port in 4 inch on the back of the boat.
2. State sticker on outside of boat (no numbers)
3. CG #s inside the bilge with a clear over them of some kind.

I do not need the state numbers on the outside of boat?
Since I am registered in TX as well, do I need the ID # inside the bilge?

Thanks
I believer your CG #'s have to be permanently mounted inside the boat, not necessarily in the bilge.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

that is true..ive seen the numbers inside the cockpit before...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I survey boats all the time down here where the owner ONLY has the document on board. The numbers in the engine room are easy to install. I doubt the officer is going to fine you $10,000 when he can see you just recently received your papers by the post mark. Most high performance boats have so much going on at the transom; outdrives, external steering, exhaust outlets/mufflers, K-planes, etc., that the Marine Patrol guys will understand that the name and hailing port is not practical to be on the transom.

If you get stopped, just be courteous and show your paperwork. Unless the guy's a real pri--, you'll be just fine.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The name and port don't have to be on the transom.

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
The name and port don't have to be on the transom.

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

Hey, now you've just got to buy another boat so you can apply your knowledge!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

In Illinois we need to register with the state as well. That requires the state numbers on the side of the boat also.

Quick Reply: Boat Documentation Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.