Notices

Lucky..

Old 01-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lucky..

Late in the summer of ’00 I got word that an old college friend had been diagnosed with cancer. He was 43 at the time. We had boated together many times after college, but then he got involved in other hobbies so we didn’t keep in direct contact, other than Christmas cards and such.

His prognosis was not good – the doctors did not think he would make it through Christmas 2000. As a way of showing we cared, we had a party at a mutual friend’s house in the fall of 2000 where he was the “guest of honor”. I hesitate to call it a send-off, because you always try to have hope in situations like this.

Well, he made it through that Christmas, and on through last summer. I received word last August that one of the things he would like to do was to ride in my Cigarette. After several miss-fires due to his sickness, we had everything arranged. I would drive my boat down from Richmond to Va Beach, anchor in an area known as Broad Bay, and another buddy would use his cruiser to shuttle Mark to and from shore. The day arrives, and he takes a terrible fall that morning. His wife’s first inclination is to rush him to the hospital, but Mark holds out and says he wants his ride. That afternoon we were able to get him on the boat and go for the ride.

He set a goal to make it through this New Years, and then admitted himself to the hospital on New Years day. Upon hearing that it was going to snow in Va Beach (a rare occurrence), he then decided to stick around long enough to see that.

This past Monday I attended Mark’s funeral. As his wife, family, and friends were grieving over the loss, I was amazed at how many people thanked me for what I had done. For me it was such a little thing, especially since I enjoy long boat rides. But for Mark it was something special. I’m no saint, but it was such a good feeling knowing that I had made his time on earth a little happier.

So as we debate over who’s faster, what the best cam is, or why one boat is better than another, let’s not forget how truly lucky we are to be able to afford this addiction we all have. Very few people ever have the opportunity to enjoy the things we do.

Here's to you, Mark..
Old 01-09-2002, 02:57 PM
Registered

Amen to that.........
Old 01-09-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

Great Story, So Sad But It Is The Little Things We Do That Make Life Worth Livin.. And Make Us Appriciate Every Day...
Old 01-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear about your friend.

What you did for him was splendid. If all of us just went a little out of our way to do nice things like that (heck, call an old friend up and ask if they just want to go boating) the world would be a better place.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Every now and then, I stop and look @ my wife and daughters, who are happy, healthy, and beautiful and thank god that I'm soo lucky to have them! In the big scheme of things, boats are actually pretty far down the list. Sounds like you helped make your friend's limited time here, be a little more enjoyable, even for just a little while. It's funny, the things we take for granted, (like OUR HEALTH) until something like this happens. Sorry for your loss.
MD
Old 01-09-2002, 03:12 PM
Registered

We will think of Mark this weekend when we light up the Big Blocks and go out for a run........ Sorry for your loss.

Doug
Old 01-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 01-09-2002, 03:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind responses. "His" drink was a Kamikazi, so I made a batch Monday night. I needed them.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cig ,
We are also sorry to hear about the loss. What you did was AWESOME .. Alot of us take too much for granted, me included..
You never now how long you will be here for , so have to live it while it lasts ....
I also have to stop every once and awhile and thank God for everything we have and what we are able to do..... Mark
Old 01-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, that story nearly brought me to tears. You truly are a great friend. Sorry to hear baout your loss.

Here's to you Mark, RIP.

Quick Reply: Lucky..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.