If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    2003 FasTech 292
    San Jose, CA

Question Coast Guard doumentation on inside of hull - Suggestions?

Hey guys,

Like many of you, I chose Coast Guard documentation of my vessel rather than state registration (one reason being the high annual registration\taxes in the State of California).

The vessel name and hailing port on the stern was easy, but my documentation package from the USCG says I need to have the official # affixed permanently somewhere inside on the hull, must be 3-inch lettering and covered in a resin or epoxy 1/16 " thick, so that "removal would leave permaent and noticable damage or scarring".

9 characters total @ 3" each is over 2 feet worth of lettering, and in my 292 I don't have alot of accessbile areas where I can affix and then epoxy over that much lettering.

Is everyone else complying with the exact terms of this requirement, or are you running smaller\different options for the ID#?

Really need some help here...The USCG package says up to a $10,000 fine for non-compliance of documentation rules.

Platinum Member Platinum Member GLH's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Burlington, VT
    Find a bulkhead in the engine compartment.

In the boat I currently have it is under the seats in the cabin inside one of the storage compartment.

My Boats:
    Baja 442
    I took a piece of 1/4" wood and painted it black. After it dried, I then took self-stick letters and laid them out on the board. I then sprayed the board white. After the white coat dried,I then clear coated the whole thing with about 4-5 heavy coats. I then mounted it on a bulkhead with 4 screws. Got stopped by the Coast Guard last year and they verified the numbers to the documentation. They were more than satisfied with this.

Reedville, va. Chesapeake Bay
    Put it somewhere they can see it without haveing to board your boat.

My Boats:
    1992 Formula 303
    St. Peters, MO
    I've got the numbers on the side of the engine compartment, just under the hatch (on smooth fiberglass, not the rough). Right ow, they are just stuck on, and I don't have anything covering them yet.

I've been stopped and my stick on vinyl letters passed without issues........

My Boats:
    boatless... with money in the bank!!
    ur still gonna have to pay the taxes!!! thay will find u!!!.... trust me i know.....

vinyl letters worked for me so far