Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
boat sitting in salt water >

boat sitting in salt water

Notices

boat sitting in salt water

Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it for five days when I took it out bottom was clean.but I used it everyday I think thats the key also brushing the bottom like someone else stated is also a good idea.you could anchor in some shallow water and do that.Bottom line we have these boats to have fun with.This trip sounds like it will be that enjoy
Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

wow, went to my boys baseball game and boom 2 pages. You gota love OSO.
OK, your right, I will take the boat and do the trailer thing. I can't go down to the good water and not bring the pride and joy I just worry about where to store it, but i'll figure out something (safe)
I'm sure I can find a place to hook up a hose and flush and all that good stuff. But how do I use the salt away w/ the hose.
I'm fresh water and never used it before.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they sell a kit with a hose adaptor...Go to west marine
Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

10-4
Old 05-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer
exactly.... plus i wouldnt store my boat on a trailer in s fla while visiting..... way to dangerous.... unless u want a new boat!
Yeah right. A guy from Cleveland ought to know.

Do you have any idea how many boats are stored in Florida on trailers? Please.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

The house I grew up in was on the beach (pacific) and kept both a 22 Whaler Cuddy and Sea Ray all summer on a buoy in front..... The nice thing though was low tide created a mud flat, so could run a hose for daily fresh water cleaning and flush engine.. Plus both got used daily. Several of our neighbors did the same. Salt water is only evil if you let it...

A week would run fresh water hose down after each use, salt dried plus heat on any metal surface will F' them up. Other than you should be more than fine. Plus flush engine's when it comes out....
Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Banned

A lot depends on the water temperature, and how much water flow is in the place you have it in the water, and if you use it during that time. Once I had a boat in a wet slip while I was doing some work on the trailer. CigDaze will be familiar where it is, it was at Huber Yacht during the middle of summer. There is practically no water flow there, because it's at the very end of a canal. I had the boat there for about four days, when my brother and I decided to go fishing. I couldn't get the boat on a plane. I thought I had spun a prop. Turns out there were barnacles that were already over a half inch long growing on the hull, and any part of the drive that was in the water. The led to several hours of "good clean fun" with a scraper, and muriatic acid.

This is not conjecture, or other advice from our northern friends, but actual real life experience. It may be different if you run it everyday, I've left boats in the water overnight, and just the stray current from other boats in the marina made my drives show the beginings of electrolisis.

Where are you planning on leaving it in the water?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Speaking of barnicles,
In the northeast, you will start to see the beginnings of barnicles after two weeks. At this stage, they can be power washed off. If you go any longer, it will get alot tougher. I can't believe how fast they take hold in Fl.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

WD40 will do a number on barnacles.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tanner
Have to disagree, in the water for a week and using it periodically is no problem. Been in key west for a few days on runs and never had any problem. I nice coat of wax will certainly help prolong any problems.
Running it is another story. Seriously man, here in my area when the water is about 85 degrees, in no more than 3 days your rig's covered in barnacles. Granted, up north it may be a whole 'nother story. But down here, trust me, I know from experience. I learned the hard way with the Baja, I wouldn't do it again.

Quick Reply: boat sitting in salt water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.