Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   boat sitting in salt water (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/158213-boat-sitting-salt-water.html)

tomcei 05-14-2007 04:12 PM

boat sitting in salt water

If you guys couldn't find dry storage for your boat would you let it sit in the salt water, in a slip, for a week while your at the beach??:(

cuda 05-14-2007 04:18 PM

Not if I had a trailer I could put it on every night.

tomcei 05-14-2007 04:19 PM

The more I think about it:eek: the more I can't handle the thought of it. Am I making a bigger deal out of it than I need to?

CigDaze 05-14-2007 04:20 PM

No. A weekend max, but not a week. It's especially bad if it's in the summer. Warm saltwater wreaks havoc quickly, and you'll be scraping barnacles for a week, if you do. In FL, you'll start seeing barnicle evidence at about the 2nd or 3rd day - after a week they've "cemented" on, and you're screwed.

hunster 05-14-2007 04:22 PM

I wouldn't think twice about it. Have fun!

tomcei 05-14-2007 04:23 PM

Cuda, That's what I will most likely do but storing it is the problem. I have been turned down at Treasure island and lightHouse marina in PC Fla. for Dry storage and they "say" they can't store trailers.

tomcei 05-14-2007 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 2127362)
No. A weekend max, but not a week. It's especially bad if it's in the summer. Warm saltwater wreaks havoc quickly, and you'll be scraping barnacles for a week, if you do. In FL, you'll start seeing barnicle evidence at about the 2nd or 3rd day - after a week they've "cemented" on, and you're screwed.

That's all I had to here. I can't stand the though of a new mtr, fresh out drive and new gell(last yr) everything is nice and I want to keep it that way.

Bobthebuilder 05-14-2007 04:30 PM

I'm in for a week at a time fairly often. Do you have the ability to fresh water flush your engines / exhaust when in the water? That would be the main thing. When you put on the trailer spend the extra time to clean it up real well. Bottom wash with On / Off. Or you may want to pull it out for a day mid way thru your week, clean and splash again next day. Use it and enjoy ! :D
Bob

Michael1 05-14-2007 05:03 PM

How do you clean the hull where it is resting on the trailer bunks? Also if you have barnicles there, it seems like they would be ground into the gelcoat.

Michael

Shorgasm 05-14-2007 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2127406)
How do you clean the hull where it is resting on the trailer bunks? Also if you have barnicles there, it seems like they would be ground into the gelcoat.

Michael

Curious as to the answer for this one...all my boats have been fresh water.Well both of them.lolz.

Salts a *****....especially warm salt.