Question For The Chesapeake Bunch

Notices

Question For The Chesapeake Bunch

Old 05-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question For The Chesapeake Bunch

Planning a road trip to the south in a few weeks with the boat. At over a combined weight of 18,000 lbs there's little room for mistakes. I plan on leaving the Island around 2am which will put me in DE by rush hour. I was looking at route 301 @ DE which will dump me on the north side of Richmond. Been well over 15 years since I've been on 301 driving semi's. What should one expect that time of the day and has 301 improved over the years ? I do remember traffic lights/stop signs on 301 but was alot quicker taking that way to avoid DC and Baltimore traffic at times.
Any suggestions ?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by cig1988
Planning a road trip to the south in a few weeks with the boat. At over a combined weight of 18,000 lbs there's little room for mistakes. I plan on leaving the Island around 2am which will put me in DE by rush hour. I was looking at route 301 @ DE which will dump me on the north side of Richmond. Been well over 15 years since I've been on 301 driving semi's. What should one expect that time of the day and has 301 improved over the years ? I do remember traffic lights/stop signs on 301 but was alot quicker taking that way to avoid DC and Baltimore traffic at times.
Any suggestions ?
301 will bring you all the way to 97 and 695, it is much more scenic but lots of lights, still better than the mixing bowl (imo) toll at the HW Nice bridge other than that a straight shot. You'll see the exit right past Kings Dominion...did you sell the 20 Harry?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

301 is in much better condition than it used to be. However, it also has much more traffic now.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You may run into trouble at the Bay Bridge also, you are coming across with all the commuters. (DO NOT get stuck in the left lane as you approach the bridge-they may force you onto the eastbound span and 2 way traffic) Once past there it is just lights, etc. until you get past Waldorf, then it opens up some.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I-95 does often suck, but it is bearable.

I'd adjust your timing to come through the Baltimore/DC area at 9PM-4AM or 10AM-2PM.

103.5 FM is your friend for DC traffic every ten minutes on the 8s. They normally refer to both DC and Baltimore Beltways as their respective Inner Loop and Outer Loop, so make sure you have that down.

Also, Sirius has as DC/Baltimore traffic station that alternates reports every 4 minutes.

I've traveled 301 several times towing from Richmond to the Annapolis area. There are no real issues with the road, but it does switch from 2 to 4 lanes, and back to 2 lanes a bunch of times. There is a lot of truck traffic, especially toward Richmond as there are a lot of quarries off of 301. It looks like a straight shot, but it takes me 3.5 hours to tow from Richmond to Annapolis.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-15-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Used to drive that route all the time bringing boats to the Eastern shore. 301 is a nice detour from 95N. However, you will run into a lot of lights after crossing the 301 bridge (toll only from MD to VA). The mileage is just about the same as if you came through Springfield. The exit for 301 off 95 is 104 ( a huge truck stop refueling stations everywhere)

I personally like to be on the move so I prefer the Springfield route better ( no stop and go unless you hit it around rush hour)
Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"107.7 FM is your friend for DC traffic every ten minutes on the 8s."

WTOP 107.7 has changed dial position to 103.5 FM. See what happens Brian, you move to Richmond and lose all touch with the great traffic we have in NoVA
Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggressor 25
"107.7 FM is your friend for DC traffic every ten minutes on the 8s."

WTOP 107.7 has changed dial position to 103.5 FM. See what happens Brian, you move to Richmond and lose all touch with the great traffic we have in NoVA

Thanks Ty! I actually knew it switched, but forgot about it when posting. I fixed my original post.

http://www.wtop.com/?sid=590400&nid=6
http://www.traffic.com/Washington-DC...c-Reports.html
http://www.usastar.com/i95/homepage.htm
http://www.nbc4.com/traffic/index.html

All of the above links have traffic links for I-95.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-15-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I-95 does often suck, but it is bearable.

I'd adjust your timing to come through the Baltimore/DC area at 9PM-4AM or 10AM-2PM.

103.5 FM is your friend for DC traffic every ten minutes on the 8s. They normally refer to both DC and Baltimore Beltways as their respective Inner Loop and Outer Loop, so make sure you have that down.

Also, Sirius has as DC/Baltimore traffic station that alternates reports every 4 minutes.

I've traveled 301 several times towing from Richmond to the Annapolis area. There are no real issues with the road, but it does switch from 2 to 4 lanes, and back to 2 lanes a bunch of times. There is a lot of truck traffic, especially toward Richmond as there are a lot of quarries off of 301. It looks like a straight shot, but it takes me 3.5 hours to tow from Richmond to Annapolis.
I hate to admit it, but...

It'll take longer and you have to drive right through a few towns (like Waldorf and LaPlata) that are the Nation's Capitol for inbreeding.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
I hate to admit it, but...

It'll take longer and you have to drive right through a few towns (like Waldorf and LaPlata) that are the Nation's Capitol for inbreeding.

lol, well you know the only road through oxen hole leads nowhere

Quick Reply: Question For The Chesapeake Bunch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.