If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Boats:
    2000 Fountain 32 Sportfish Cruiser
    Sunland, CA
    Not many boat builders are public companies, so they don't have to announuce when sales go down. No duh, everybody has known that sales are depressed due to high gas prices.

I think its a sign of a good product that their sales have just barely fallen. I have talked to other very good builders whose sales of their premier high performance boat products has gone to ZERO. They are staying alive with sales of wimpy boats.

Allergic to Nonsense Platinum Member T2x's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
    Granite Quarry, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper_dave View Post
    Brunswick owns both Baja and Mercury. As well as a bunch of other boatbuilders (sea ray, hatteras, bayliner, etc.)
    I know that, but what does that have to do with Baja never going bankrupt?
    Obsolete and proud of it

Who Me? Platinum Member FeverMike's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 38TE Fountain
    I've never owned a Baja but they seem to have a good looking product at a good price with a strong dealer network. This keeps them in business. Most boaters can't afford a 38 Cig but they can find a way to afford a 38 Baja. Also most boaters are not as educated in product quality and can not tell the difference in build quality up to a point and Baja's look very good to them, especially for the money. Baja also sells a lot of smaller boats and bow riders and this keeps them in business. Other than all this I have to go back to the strong dealer network. Baja seems to keep the same dealers for a long long time so there has to be profit in their product line along with excellent dealer and manufacture relations.

My Boats:
    ~ Long Island ~ NY
    Just got this today TRADE ONLY publication......follow up on Fountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Charter Member # 545 Gold Member Beak Boater's Avatar
    Port Tobacco MD/Cape Coral Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by marylandmark View Post
    Concept more than double the size of their plant recently...
    Now they have 6 people working instead of 3

VIP Member VIP Member Back4More's Avatar
    My Boats:
    353 Fastech
    Lake Michigan
    Good, maybe Fountain will drop prices even more with 0.0% financing with cash back so I could buy a new 42.

Newbury Park, CA
    Not only are gas prices hurting boat sales, but financing costs are up. People don't have as much equity in their homes to borrow against. Next year will be even worse with inboard emission standards kicking in. Not only will people not want to be the first on their block with potentially unreliable emissions equipment which really has had very little "in boat" testing (almost none in salt water), but they won't like the $1000 increase in prices per engine either. Some energy pundits are predicting oil will go to $100 per barrel in 2008. Brunswick stock is already down due to lower boat and inboard marine engine profits. It could get ugly next year. Go short on boating stocks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123