Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    VIP Member VIP Member LubeJobs42's Avatar
    My Boats:
    44 MTI 39 MTI 35 MOTION 16 DONZI

What does it take to freeze & crack an engine block?

I have a question? I have a friend (i know hard to believe). He has a fountain. He sent his boat up north months back. On the way up the transporter ran into a snow storm. The temp dropped to 30 degrees. the transporter pulled over, dumped a few gallons of antifreeze into each sea strainer and cranked the motors. Never strarted them! Got back n the road, drove about 5 hours to the destination where supposably the boat was put inside a heated warehouse. Long story short, now both blocks and 2 heads are cracked. Because the motors were never started and the thermostats never opened the blocks were full of water. My question is, could they have frozen that bad in that short of time in those just below freezing temps while in transport. My opinion is no friggen way, the boat had to be left outside for a period of time in colder temp to do that kind of damage.
    This is a huge problem, we need expert advice. We all know how may experts we have on OSO!!

MM1
    Registered
    My Boats:
    35 FT FOUNTAIN LIGHTNING
    I have a customer who had one block and one manifold crack in Las Vegas the temps were around 30 and thats all it took. The weird thing is the bolck and the manifold cracked on one engine and no damage at all to the other. But if you were driving or sitting still I don't think its matters cold is still cold. I'm not sure how long it would take for them to crack but I would guess 4 hrs?

My Boats:
    Big beatdown pontoon boat. Bring your own fenders.
    At 30 degrees? Not buying it. You said it, long term, way deep temps.

But I'm from Phoenix where "winterizing" a boat means wearing a sweatshirt to the lake when you go in January.

VIP Member VIP Member LubeJobs42's Avatar
    My Boats:
    44 MTI 39 MTI 35 MOTION 16 DONZI
    Quote Originally Posted by MM1 View Post
    I have a customer who had one block and one manifold crack in Las Vegas the temps were around 30 and thats all it took. The weird thing is the bolck and the manifold cracked on one engine and no damage at all to the other. But if you were driving or sitting still I don't think its matters cold is still cold. I'm not sure how long it would take for them to crack but I would guess 4 hrs?
    I look at it this way. 30 s just freezing. It takes ice cubes a couple of hours to freeze. I would think the boat and the steel blocks would be some sort of insulation and the water in the block would take some time to freeze solid enough to expand and do all that damage.

My Boats:
    Boatless and Looking :)
    I would have to say that there is no way that 30 degrees for 4 hours would do it. The antifreeze in the strainers didn't do anything as if he just cranked it would not been enough to fill the block or manifolds. It may have shown good faith but that's about it as it would provide no benefit.

Unfortunately...I'm no expert

My Boats:
    35 lightning ,, "Ghetto Boyz" , 750 pfaff power , prs full konrad conversion, MitcherT Paint. ...and one empty wallet

not

at 30 not happening in 4 hrs boat insulate the engine that boat sat ouside alot longer than that i live in wisconson and it takes alot more than that i gaurentee that !

Platinum Member Platinum Member ACTIVESHACK's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2007 37' Active Thunder SOLD-1976 Spectra 20 Daycruiser
    Gino Thats seems hard to believe. It usually has to get down in the 20s for a extended period to crack a block. I towed my new boat home in April and we had a freak spring snow storm here and i didn't even put my boat inside my storage building. I think theres more to this story Here's some pics. of mine on April 7th I didn't even drain the water tank!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Boats:
    1986 Sea Ray Pachanga 22
    I ran a heater in my bilge here in DC all winter and would always check my bottled water in the truck in the morning. A botle of water wouldn't freeze overnight until it got low 20's or high teens. Usually parked at 6 and started back up around 9....nothing ever froze even in the mid 20's for 9 hours....

My Boats:
    39 MTI "Wildcat",
    It would take a hard freeze of about 20 degrees for a day. 30 degrees would not do it for 4 hours. More to this story I bet.

Platinum Member Platinum Member rainmn's Avatar
    Around here guys still have their boats in water for striper season when the temps are getting that low overnight.

I don't buy it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast