Notices

Hook in botton of hull?

Old 01-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Hook in botton of hull?

After reading all the posts in the Scarab section, I have read that my ScarabIII has a lot of "hook " designed in bottom. how do you determin how much?(use long straight edge from transom along the bottom?)is it worth removing(for top speed& fuel economy)Any one know anybody who does this kindof work ,(hull blueprinting)in Ohio around Cleveland?
Old 01-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Charter Member #38
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't be fooled into believing hook should be removed. It may result in higher speeds but you may also lose some handling characteristics. Nothing worse than paying someone to make your boat worse ?! If the hook is real bad I'm sure some could be removed. I'd definitely do some research on hook removal. Make sure you take you boat to a competent establishment. Don't use the neighborhood autobody technician.

I've also read that just sharpening the transom/hull edge can be beneficial ?

Good Luck
Old 01-09-2002, 11:31 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

from what i have hear dteh hook in the III is there to give her a ride more like a family express cruiser. Wellcraft did that in the hope that making it ride like a big ole cadillac would make it more appealing as a "family" boat instead of a just a speed freak boat. As for removing it???? I dunno if you shodul or shoiuldn;t you might pick up some speed but it will ride differently.

Coincidentally the "family" aspect of the boat makes me kind of like it more. The cabin has soem decent space in it. and it has a real head instead of those funky as porti pottis.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:54 AM
Registered

We took most of the hook out of my Baja and it seemed to help. Might take more out later. Dave Warden
Old 01-09-2002, 11:58 AM
Registered

Cool

Thanks Puder, I knew you would reply I remember how you had a ScarabIII that the guy stiffed ya on and that you always liked that model. LeeS seem well informed on all Scarabs and I was reading his posts about my "redheaded stepchild"...LOL
Old 01-09-2002, 12:09 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I pulled about 3/16" of the 1/4" hook that was in my Concord out. I should note that the hook was only present in the outer most area of the bottom near the hard chine. I saw no real improvement in speed or the amount of required trim. I now believe that the boat wasn't running on that portion of the hull.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Registered

Smile

Thats what you get for fishing from a go fast boat. You probably have line wrapped around the prop and that will slow you down also. What happens if you are swimming under the boat an get caught on the hook? I would get it out now or bait it and try to catch a fish on the fly.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:15 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Old 01-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Registered

Cool

DonziMitch, THERES ALWAYS ONE!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Yes there is only ONE. ME

Quick Reply: Hook in botton of hull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.