Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Running Hot is on ebay; caught on fire (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/158629-running-hot-ebay%3B-caught-fire.html)

StraightJacket 04-11-2008 03:58 PM

Heres a few more " Rainbow Chaser" 39 Signature, "Getaway" 28 Magnum Maltess, "Street life" 38 Kv Scarab Flat deck , " Night Moves" , " Hollywood " , "*****'n " Arrnow Cat , " Beast" Flat deck Cig which will be back this year, and there are so many other that didn't even have names, and some I can remember. I was young

bunbuster 04-11-2008 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine (Post 2521732)
Yep I remember that one. So did you own the Bun Buster Scarab once upon a time? If so that was the first performance boat I ever road on.

No i didn't . My parents had a cruiser at B&E and Bun Buster sat across from them at the town homes (circa 87 -89)?

10x 04-11-2008 11:25 PM

I'm going back to the 70's, but does anyone remember the boat out of New Buffalo called "Magnum Force"?? I believe it had some green stripes on it, and a pic of a revolver on the side.

The last "Me Bad" was a 12 meter Fountain. Gene Bell sold the Excaliber Hawk, and had the Fountain built with some huge Dennis Ferrera motors in it. One day the wife and I were out with Mike Freedman in his 38 Bertram "Benehaha" which ended up being called the "Dynasoar", Magnum Mark was there too with his 35 Cig. Gene tied up with us for a while, and I got a good look at his new Fountain. When we untied and left, Gene wanted to run Mike and I, so we headed straight N/E into the wind, from Chicago's breakwall. We ran hard way past the pumping stations, and there were some 4-5's everywhere. We were running 103 in the Bertram, and that dam Fountain was right there next to us, could'nt run away from him, could'nt even get out in front of him. Gene had 5 people in the boat with him, and it was a pleasure boat that even had A/C and a microwave in the cabin.

That's what turned me on to the Fountain line of boats. I had a Cigarette at the time. After Gene died, his family sold the boat about a year later. I did'nt find out the boat was for sale till after it sold, otherwise, I would've been 1st in line. That boat ended up being called "Smugglers Blues", and some guy out of Calumet City bought it, real cheap too. This was all back around 1987.

Anyone remember the blue 33 Fountain called "Killer"?? Frank Domingo from lake Geneva owned it. They banned him from L/Geneva cause it was too loud. He brought it down to Diversy harbor for me to test drive it, as I was intending to purchase it. He told me that it ran well over 100. It had 572's with tunnel rams and dominators, Stellings, BIG solid roller cams, speedmasters on boxes, and a 3 man bolster up front. Told Frank that if I could beat Freedmans Bertram with it, I'd buy it. Raced Freedman that evening, and I could'nt pass him, or even get out in front of him after 4 trys. That boat had one of the roughest idles I've ever heard, and it was a nightmare to dock. That 10 meter did'nt run any faster than Gene's 12 meter. This was about 1988.

northernoffshore 04-12-2008 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
dynosoar

KAAMA 04-12-2008 01:23 PM

Yeah, I remember "Rainbow Chaser" and "BEAST" and a 35' all black Cig named "SMOKIN' ", "DYNASOAR", and "BAM" over in Saugatuck during the races over here on the Michigan side.

sommerfliesby 04-12-2008 01:37 PM

Gotta say guys...this thread is awesome! I love reading stories about the "old days."

Anybody know anything about the 38 Cig that was called "Chicago Thunder"...or had Chicago Thunder Marine on it? That was the first go-fast I was ever on...although I never did get to go for a ride. This was in Hammond, probably around 95-96...I know the boat was an 83 or 85...I was a big Jet Ski nut at the time, but I was dreaming big!

StraightJacket 04-12-2008 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 2522997)
Gotta say guys...this thread is awesome! I love reading stories about the "old days."

Anybody know anything about the 38 Cig that was called "Chicago Thunder"...or had Chicago Thunder Marine on it? That was the first go-fast I was ever on...although I never did get to go for a ride. This was in Hammond, probably around 95-96...I know the boat was an 83 or 85...I was a big Jet Ski nut at the time, but I was dreaming big!

Yeah look at you now , you've just become a nut.

10x 04-12-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by KAAMA (Post 2522988)
Yeah, I remember "Rainbow Chaser" and "BEAST" and a 35' all black Cig named "SMOKIN' ", "DYNASOAR", and "BAM" over in Saugatuck during the races over here on the Michigan side.

Mark, those were all the guys that I hung around with back in the 80's, and they kept their boats at Marina City in dry dock. Dennis owned Smokin, and quite a few years ago, it was destroyed in a fire at some marina down in Fla. He said that someone left a battery charger on over night, and it shorted out and caught the boat on fire which in turn burned several boats in the building, and Smokin was one that was totally destroyed. I think that happened around late 90's.

Lunatic Fringe 04-12-2008 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Magic Medicine,
Here you go. Getting closer to having it ready for the water.

Jim

cougarman 04-13-2008 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by 10x (Post 2523147)
Mark, those were all the guys that I hung around with back in the 80's, and they kept their boats at Marina City in dry dock. Dennis owned Smokin, and quite a few years ago, it was destroyed in a fire at some marina down in Fla. He said that someone left a battery charger on over night, and it shorted out and caught the boat on fire which in turn burned several boats in the building, and Smokin was one that was totally destroyed. I think that happened around late 90's.

Kinda Strange that is was named SMOKIN and thats how it ended........Smokin up in flames. Not being rude or disrespectful......Actually a shame is what it is.

Jon