Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Fuel addatives for the new truck (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/15868-ot-fuel-addatives-new-truck.html)

Audiofn 01-10-2002 10:05 AM

OT: Fuel addatives for the new truck

Hey guys what do I need to do when filling up the new truck? I have been gas for a long time now. My last car if I was in a pickle I used to put a bout 1 gallon gas for evey 9 of diesle. I am not sure if that is acceptable or not but it did work with my old VW that I had. How cold before you have to start puttin in the additives? How screwed are you if you forget or do not have it? Don't they put anti gell additives in to help in the winter? Sorry for all the questions but I do not want to ruin the new ride :D :D

Jon

DJD 01-10-2002 10:29 AM

In a "pickle"??
Just piss in the tank! LOL

DJD 01-10-2002 10:31 AM

Hey sparky, when will you be rolling through southern CT?
I just got roped into a meeting with a new client at 10 a.m. Saturday. It will only take an hour to look at the plans & chat but I don't want to hold you up.
Let me know

Katdrvr 01-10-2002 12:07 PM

Jon,

One other thing, your fuel milage will suck with the #1/#2 fuel blend. The #1 has a lot less energy per pound of fuel than the #2. So don't be surprised if your mileage is a little on the low side until spring. I agree with everything Troutly said. I always try to buy fuel at a truck stop, but I have two close to my house.

mike

FWK 01-10-2002 12:38 PM

Jon try to avoid any stations that have above ground tanks also. don't trust the truck stops for the fuel additives. Use the anti gel it is worth the protection. Forrest

Luvoffshore 01-10-2002 01:02 PM

Hey Jon:

Living in cold country like you do, you might want to get a block heater, if you don't already have one. I have one here and it doens't get anywhere near as cold as long as you do, and I use it when it gets 30 or less. It sure makes it easier on the engine starting and mine (97 Powerstroke) takes forever to get heat without it!

Caincando1 01-10-2002 01:18 PM

Always run Priemium fuel. You will need blended fuel if the temp is consistantly below 20. Be careful of truck stops. Most do not blend there diesel. Most only sell straight #2 and #1 and you'll have to blend it yourself. If it below 20 run a mixture to 4:1(#2:#1) and as it gets consistanty colder increase the mixture up 10 3:1 and if its below zero 2:1 and even 1:1 in extremes, 20-40 below all the time. Most of your Franchise stations and some truck stops will blend there fuel. It should say right on the pump what the blend % is. But find one that goes through alot of diesel so its always fresh.

If your worried keep a bottle or two of stanadyne addative in your truck. That will drop the gel point of whatever fuel you have in 40 degrees(and increse power). Stanadyne make a few differnt addative . My brocher is at home so I can't say exactly what the diffence is in the them. And don't use ANYTHING but stanandyne.

Brian

mfb357 01-10-2002 05:02 PM

Jon, I have alot of deisels in heavy tractors , cranes , and pickups. Buy deisel at Texaco or Mobil and youll be fine. Additives wont really help the performance of the newer engines they are alot better than years ago. If your truck is going to sit for a long time than add antigel additive. Just remember to plug it in it will help in the lifespan of the engine.And if you got a Ford wait for the glow plug light to go out(engine start). Good luck , Mark

mxz800 01-10-2002 05:36 PM

someone told me a trick to starting the powerstrokes when it is cold is to watch for the amp guage to come back up. the guage will stay down sometimes 5 seconds after the wait to start light goes out. when the guage comes back up the glow plugs are done thier heat cycle. try ford-diesel.com those guys are real helpfull about this stuff.

Neverfastenuf 01-10-2002 06:08 PM

Because of all the "CRAP" fuel you will still get, I suggest BG44K about every 5th tank of fuel. It is for gas engines, but works well with the Powerstroke. BGs diesel additive is ok, but we have found the 44K works better. It cleans the system very well and has no adverse effects on the engine. The glo plugs will burn out if full voltage is applied, that is why there is a period of time before it charges 100%. The delay is there for a reason. What everyone says about winter blend fuels is correct, they "SUCK". Your truck will feel like a new vehicle when you are able to use the summer blends. Also refrain from long periods of extended idle. I know it warms up the truck, but prolonged periods is detrimental to the performance. I believe all Strokes(all I've seen anyway) come with a block heater. It works well, use it. Good luck and enjoy the truck, they are neat rigs.