Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Hopatcong races-Food for thought? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/158792-lake-hopatcong-races-food-thought.html)

CigDaze 05-23-2007 01:14 PM

And therein lies the distinction between the enduring, dedicated hobbyist and the guy who comes to see the show when it's in town. But Why must we always make that distinction? Why separate the two groups, instead of combining them?

Also poignant: How does each rank in number? Which one does a sponsor want? Which one is the more lucrative target audience?...

So you show me some black and white photographs of 80 (or more) boats....who's watching? Are they all die-hard boaters intimately familiar with the drivers and ignited by the thrill of competition? Or did they happen to live there and have nothing better to do that weekend? Who's footing the bill for each of those boats in those old photos? - sponsors or their hobbyists?

Were the glory days really that much better?

Pete B 05-23-2007 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 2137891)

hobbists or Professional

Very good point, I am really curious to know what impact a sponship has on NASCAR, I dont really watch it, but I know millions do, but I still use UPS, Fed EX, etc I am not loyal to any of those products. and How many people use Dupont paint, by travelling some rural areas I would say not many!

I have a nextel phone not because of Nascar, but I can say when my contract runs out, it wont be Nextel or sprint for that matter.

So is it the TV, with all the Vee bottom boats going to europe to run in a bracketed speed, do they think they will sell that many boats in europe?? or the fact they will get tv coverage here in the states.??? or have a better chance at winning against maybe lesser of or equipment and design???

T2x 05-23-2007 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 2137891)

Yes........ but we will never get them back, so we have to find a creative way to make new glory days.......

CigDaze 05-23-2007 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2138092)
we have to find a creative way to make new glory days.......

I think all can agree with that.

BROWNIE 05-24-2007 07:55 AM

The ups and downs of the sport seem to be grossly affected by outside influences. Here in Miami, we have had races with a couple of hundred boats at a time. City fathers (I usually called them mothers) stopped our Gold Coast Marathon to Palm Beach and back, threw us out of the Marine Stadium, etc. Hell, we always had 2-300 boats here for the Orange Bowl Regatta. There were probably 6-800 raceboats (of all types) registered in South Florida in the middle 60's. Now you can't even get on f***ing plane in the ICW.