Condensation, breather baffles, and "cream cheese"

Notices

Condensation, breather baffles, and "cream cheese"

Old 05-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation, breather baffles, and "cream cheese"

Hello everyone,

Have a problem that I would like your input on.

1995 502 EFI Gen V with K&N filter, 2 weak cylinders per last leakdown.

Ran hard yesterday locally as seas and sky were chit.

I would say 1.5 hours of WOT with breaks in between testing out a labbed 24 Bravo (works great). My oil PSI, idled at 40, bursted up to 60 or 70 under load, then back down to 30 idling back to the launch ramp. Water temps started out 150, bursted to 165 at most, came back down to 150 going back to the ramp. Volts were 14.1v without the blower on. All looks good, correct?

Then I opened the motor lid. Did it in the harbor back to the ramp just to let the engine breather and cool down. Look back and notice what looks like coffee stains on the bottom of the lid, little spurts. Put the boat in neutral, do further research. I see this coffee liquid "bleeding" from what I now know is the breather baffle on the valve cover (starboard side). Seems like it "puked" out the stuff during my hard run. In addition, I noticed some dried dirty cream cheese on the breather baffle itself. Maybe a 1/4 teaspoon dry, and about a tablespoon wet total coming out from my hard run, as I checked the bildge and nothing.

So to continue, I remember hearing "milky oil" is the deathknell, blown head gasket, so I get nervous but decide to wait until the ramp to check the oil. Now, I checked it before my run, it was at full, and was clear as day, as the RP 40w is only 2-3 hours old. Back at the ramp, check the oil, it is full and as clear as day, made me feel a little better. Now undertstand, the boat didn't so much as a hickup running, and I ran HARD.

So I come home, do some online research. It sounds like condensation and cream cheese to me (normal to have), and made me feel better about it not being someting major. However, wanted opinions from you guys as to what you think, am I in for it?

P.S. I have a video of it, let me know if I should post it.

Chris
Old 05-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Went throught the same thing last weekend..........Let me guess you boat in the north..........Water is still cold....Cold water hot pistons firing away=== condensation..The only reson it is not in your oil is because you sound like you ran the piss out of it and most of it got burnt off........
Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nocigarette
Went throught the same thing last weekend..........Let me guess you boat in the north..........Water is still cold....Cold water hot pistons firing away=== condensation..The only reson it is not in your oil is because you sound like you ran the piss out of it and most of it got burnt off........

I am actually in Los Angeles, but the water has been relatively cold. Haven't used the boat in about 2 weeks (another hard run).

I could accept a major problem, barely, LOL, but the boat ran like a top, so.... I hope this is what it is.

Thanks for the reply.

Chris