PWC laws in the State of Pennsylvania

Notices

PWC laws in the State of Pennsylvania

Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PWC laws in the State of Pennsylvania

Hoping a local PA guy can answer this question.

I just moved up here from Texas.

My kid just took the Safety course for the state of PA so he can drive our wave runner when he gets here. It says that everyone that is eligble to drive a wave runner has to have the PA boating safety course. It also states that if your born after 1982 you have to have the safety course before your allowed to drive one.

I'm not sure if I totally understand one of the statements. I've had 3 boats and 2 waverunners and almost 40 years old.

Do I have to take this course to be able to drive a waverunner in this state? Or is this basic guidlines for teenagers?

A little clarity would be helpful.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 05-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

If I read correctly it says if you were born after 1982. If you are 40 that makes you born 1966-67. No test needed!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Registered

EVERYONE who operates a PWC in the state of PA must have completed the safety course, passed the test, and have the card that they send you on them while driving the ski. The post-1982 DOB relates to anyone driving a boat larger than 25 Hp. This is from the PA Fish & Boat FAQ:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/faqboat.htm#3

3. Do I need a boating safety education certificate to operate my boat on Pennsylvania waters?
Boating Safety Education Certificates are required for:

all operators of personal watercraft, and
boat operators born after January 1, 1982 that operate motorboats powered by motors greater than 25 horsepower.
The Fish & Boat Commission encourages all boat operators to obtain boating education training, we believe an educated boater is a safe boater. You can get training several ways:

By taking a classroom course sponsored by one of the many volunteer boating safety groups across the Commonwealth....view the classroom courses/schedules.
Online courses can be taken at Boat Pennsylvania, the only place to get a boating safety education certificate online. Once at the site, you may take the course as many times as you want. There is a small fee to take the final exam and receive your certificate....go to the online courses.
Home video courses are also offered at Boat Pennsylvania....get the video course.
We have much more information about boating safety requirements and available courses on our Boating Courses page.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thats what I'm talking about right there!!

I thought I would have to take it.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cbeastwood
EVERYONE who operates a PWC in the state of PA must have completed the safety course, passed the test, and have the card that they send you on them while driving the ski. The post-1982 DOB relates to anyone driving a boat larger than 25 Hp. This is from the PA Fish & Boat FAQ:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/faqboat.htm#3

3. Do I need a boating safety education certificate to operate my boat on Pennsylvania waters?
Boating Safety Education Certificates are required for:

all operators of personal watercraft, and
boat operators born after January 1, 1982 that operate motorboats powered by motors greater than 25 horsepower.
The Fish & Boat Commission encourages all boat operators to obtain boating education training, we believe an educated boater is a safe boater. You can get training several ways:

By taking a classroom course sponsored by one of the many volunteer boating safety groups across the Commonwealth....view the classroom courses/schedules.
Online courses can be taken at Boat Pennsylvania, the only place to get a boating safety education certificate online. Once at the site, you may take the course as many times as you want. There is a small fee to take the final exam and receive your certificate....go to the online courses.
Home video courses are also offered at Boat Pennsylvania....get the video course.
We have much more information about boating safety requirements and available courses on our Boating Courses page.

Just got through taking the course anyway. 25 bucks was well worth what might have been a headache at the ramp.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Registered

Ahha! All PWC's!