Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Engine hatch limit switch question? >

Engine hatch limit switch question?

Notices

Engine hatch limit switch question?

Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hatch limit switch question?

I have an engine hatch electric ram installed. I believe if travel was not hindered it would spin free in the fully extended and fully closed positions. However, in my installation, due to space constraints, the ram is not fully retracted when the hatch is closed.

Therefore, if I am not careful when closing I can rip the ram from its mount on the hatch. I would like to install a limit switch for the fully extended and closed positions. Any ideas where I can secure limit switcjhes capable of handling the amps?

TIA
Illustrator
Old 05-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ram (screw jack) should have a clutch that will allow it to slip (a loud clicking) when it reaches the end of travel or something stops the hatch from moving. Mine does. Only problem is as they get older they tend to jam if allowed to run till the clutch slips. Mine gets stuck about once a season. I tear it apart, free it, grease it and all is well again....till next time.

If I can find it I'll post it.

I've been trying to come up with a limit circuit for a while now. One member did draw up a schematic....I have it someplace. I do recall seeing an ad for an add-on box that will do exactly what your looking for, just can't remember where I saw it.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There were actuators with built in adjustable limits mentioned real recently. Looked slick.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Registered

Default Limit switches

Thanks guys. I had wondered if the unit had built in limit switches, but I got it from a salvage yard and didn't see any. Spoke w/ an electrician buddy who gave me a source for normally closed/open limit switches. Will pick them up today.

If you come up with the schematic on how to wire 'em up I would appreciate it. There are way too many wires on the momentary switch for my limited electrical background.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Registered

FYI, I found s SPDT momentary switch which can be wired normally open or normally closed. They were only $23.00 each. Picked up 2. Will dope out the wiring this weekend and post it when I have them working.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind most hatch lifts are 2 wire design. They just reverse the polarity to change from up to down. If you simply install a limit switch to break the circut,will be good for a 1 time shot, but ain't going to raise the hatch back up.