Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps????? >

Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????

Notices

Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????

Old 05-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????

So how many of you guys have actually done this? How long does it last? How much does it cost? If you want to take it off, does it damage the gel coat? How long does it take to apply? Will it really stand up to salt water,rough water,70+mph? Can you apply it over existing paint/vinyl ?Anyone had any luck? If this stuff is good i thing it would be awesome,depending on how long it lasts you could change the look of your boat every once in a while...What do you guy think,any info,input,pics?

Pics Courtesy of redlinecat....
Before:

After:
Old 05-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by pshannon
So how many of you guys have actually done this? How long does it last? How much does it cost? If you want to take it off, does it damage the gel coat? How long does it take to apply? Will it really stand up to salt water,rough water,70+mph? Can you apply it over existing paint/vinyl ?Anyone had any luck? If this stuff is good i thing it would be awesome,depending on how long it lasts you could change the look of your boat every once in a while...What do you guy think,any info,input,pics?
Questions:

How many have actually done this?
quite a few.
How long does it last?
2 to 5 years or more depending on how well you care for it.
How much does it cost?
Depending on how big, how much, how indepth you go...3-5k
Will it damage the gel?
Absolutely not.
How long to apply?
Depends, but should only take a couple of days.
Will it stand up to salt water/rough water at 70mph?
Yes, no problem (refer to bellow pic).
Can you apply over existing paint/vinyl?
Yes you can apply over paint. Not a good idea over vinyl (it'll leave raised edges.
Anyone had any luck?
I've never heard anyone say anything but possitive comments about wraps.

Yes, you will be able to change the look of your boat every 3-5 years for the next 20 years for the same price as one custom paint job.

The Graphics Co. (www.thegraphicsco.com) did our boat and did an excellent job. We've run it in salt and fresh water over the past season and a half with out problems.
Attached Thumbnails Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????-big-air.jpg   Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????-1.jpg   Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????-air-time.jpg  

Old 05-23-2007, 06:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

the film they use is called control-tac, it has the same adheasive concept as post it notes. your in crownsville, if you get the material I can install it for you. I have done paint protection film for 10 yrs and have been thinking of offering this in the Md area. I want to see how a couple go on before I go after it full bore.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's a shot of an installation in progress-- doesn't look like a big deal. As usual, positioning is key. With your film background it should be a no brainer! I'm guessing the biggest hassle would be removing hardware, rubrails etc., and finding a dependable designer.

I've wrapped some SeaTow boats with regular vinyl and the biggest problem, since there were no graphics to align, was the regular adhesive (I had to do it wet). My life would have been much easier had I used controltac like on the gas pump canopy- a run of 48" x 500 ft.

The time estimates are based on manufacturers specs which are based on signage applications that are in the sun all day, every day. If you keep the boat covered you could get much more than 5 years from a wrap... other than dock rash, the biggest enemy is ultraviolet light (breaks down the pigments in the ink)-- so, the actual time spent in the sun is minimal compared to a sign.
Attached Thumbnails Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????-wrap.jpg   Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????-boatwrap.jpg   Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????-racetrac-wrap.jpg  

Old 05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I used to be a training center for 3M for ppf and when control tac came out I had a huge S eating grin, that stuff is so much easier to work with. I kept telling people that alignment is key, an 1/8 off at the start is over an inch 8 feet away. If enouvh people around here were interested I would buy the large roland printing plotter .
Old 05-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

We have been using wraps on our ba__ boats for 4 years now, and have had different companies do them. I would agree with guys above but one thing I have seen is the 3M control tac holds up the best to abrasions. But have not had anything wrapped over 21' though.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

We do wraps as well as regular vinyl graphics, have been since 1994. The "wrap" holds up great. We've got wraps on 100+ MPH boats. The colors will last 5+ years. I too use 3M scotchprint on a Roland solvent printer. If you need any thing or have any questions just let me know.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered

Location: Solomons Island, MD, Vero Beach and Punta Gorda, FL
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Ryan, I sent you an email approximately 6 weeks ago and followed up with one two weeks after that. Still trying to get help on graphics for my 38 Sonic.

Ed
Old 05-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think I got it.....it may have got sent to SPAM can you send it to [email protected]
Old 05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered

Ryan, do you have a web site? And a cost sheet?

Quick Reply: Aqua Wraps,Vinyl Boat Wraps?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.