Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   525 Header Failure?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159021-525-header-failure.html)

UNSANE 06-01-2007 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by JROMY (Post 2147353)
Man, that's a bummer :mad: What let you know they had gone? I've been told to watch the exhaust for steam, one pipe being a little different than the others, slightest sign of milky oil. Anything else I should be watching for?

Also a rough idle as well because of water dripping back in. That's what clued me in to something being wrong.

Ted G 06-01-2007 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat (Post 2146975)
Sold lots of 525's. Never a failure in freshwater.Lots of failures in saltwater. Go figure,saltwater is the enemy,but you would expect good maintenance would help,apparently not with these headers:(

Freshwater = Flat

Saltwater= Rough

Anyone that has watched the beginning of the Freeze Frame video where the hatch comes off can see how much those headers flex as the boat pounds. It's really no wonder they fail like they do.

trader1 06-01-2007 09:53 AM

I just lost another motor last week due to the header leaking! Where do you go for different exhaust? I know how CMI stays in business now!

Pro1 06-01-2007 11:13 AM

Bernie Is Tony is on his fifth set or 3rd?

OldSchool 06-01-2007 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by trader1 (Post 2147440)
I just lost another motor last week due to the header leaking! Where do you go for different exhaust? I know how CMI stays in business now!

I think that GOODT has an extra set lying around. Give him a call!!!:eek: :drink: :evilb:

restabr 06-01-2007 11:25 AM

This is kind of amazing. I'm an automobile dealer and if the products I sold failed like this I'd have a line of attorneys around the building to sue me and the manufacturers I represent. There is something called the Magnuson Moss Act and fitness for a particular purpose in the relm of warranty. I'm not an attorney and doubtless someone else on the board is and is more qualified to state an opinion but this is really kind of silly....or am I the only one that thinks so? God knows I'm not one to cry "LAWYER," but there is a time and place for everything.

JROMY 06-01-2007 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by restabr (Post 2147549)
This is kind of amazing. I'm an automobile dealer and if the products I sold failed like this I'd have a line of attorneys around the building to sue me and the manufacturers I represent. There is something called the Magnuson Moss Act and fitness for a particular purpose in the relm of warranty. I'm not an attorney and doubtless someone else on the board is and is more qualified to state an opinion but this is really kind of silly....or am I the only one that thinks so? God knows I'm not one to cry "LAWYER," but there is a time and place for everything.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am also the last person to cry "lawyer", but this issue makes you wonder.....

Panther 06-01-2007 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by JROMY (Post 2147667)
You took the words right out of my mouth. I am also the last person to cry "lawyer", but this issue makes you wonder.....

The problem is, we all buy these systems with NO warranty expressed or implied.... If you buy a new merc package and it happens to have the CMI's then you have a shot, otherwise we're up chits creek without a paddle...

But, what we can do is not buy these products anymore and force them to upgrade quality, along with a comperable warranty like one or two of the other manufacturers have... :eureka:

It's funny, a while back someone with money said ; "With all the money we spend, go for the bling." But when it breaks the cash register goes "Ka-Ching!"

Pro1 06-01-2007 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the Stainless marine Gen III with 5 inch tail pipes. It was these or CMI Big Tubes and they had a higher failure rate.

cowisl 06-01-2007 02:23 PM

The noise gave it away. Pulled the plugs out and water came out the number seven cylinder.

So far, I need:
-1 rocker arm
-new rings, bearings, timing set
-1 valve,
-1 piston
-1 push rod

Hopefully no head damage. Got to love used boats!