Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is this For Real (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159071-real.html)

CCstinger260 08-12-2007 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger (Post 2232052)
Seems this guy has gone through an awfull lot of work making this site and cutting up alpha's and installing hyd steering etc etc if its bull.......or are you just saying his numbers are BS?

someone on here must know this guy.......

I bet you're right...anybody wanna fess up??:food-smiley-007:

jafo 08-13-2007 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by CCstinger260 (Post 2232041)
Remind me to never get on Mitch's bad side!!!:hitfan:

That's a rough crowd over there on the east shores of Lake M!:D

There's no way I'd want to go that fast in any Stingray, pre or post ZP hull.
I've owned an older 19' Stingray as our ski-rec boat for years-it's a 1985 model pre-ZP and only has a 140 merc I/O 4 cylinder and it has been a great well-built boat. It runs low to mid 40's fully loaded, which is pretty good for that size and power. We use it at our property in Canada (North Channel of Lake Huron) and it rides pretty damn well. I've been told the older ones are much better at handling the waves than the newer ones. It's also incredibly good on fuel, especially when you're buying it by the liter!
I had a discussion about these boats with Paul Kermis once (Simrek drive showers)- he knows quite a bit about them, especially at speed, and would probably know whether this is all BS or not. I DO like that small block engine however- looks like a runner.

DMOORE 08-13-2007 01:46 AM

I give the guy the thumbs-up. It looks like some good old hot rodding to me. There are actually some guys over on hot boat that run some very stout small blocks with Alphas also. Ya never know, 22ft is not a lot of boat to push.

Darrell.

UNSANE 08-13-2007 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by topher117 (Post 2231618)
what model and year was your stingray?

2004 220SX with a 350Mag. Great boat for the money. 64mph for 30k plus all the features on board for a tax write off. But with only a 19 degree deadrise, it beats you up in any kind of water and I even had tabs to help out. They make one size higher, a 230 that's meant for big blocks. (a 496 HO will put it into the low to mid 70's) 230's have a 20 degree deadrise which actually is a big difference, but once again, not an offshore boat.

cosmic12 08-13-2007 07:05 AM

I have been in a Sting Ray just like that same color even. The boat had a 350 mag with exhaust and msd and ran in the 60s and I was scared to death at that on flat water in bucket seats. I went with him one time on the ST.Lawarance and it was the usuall 2ft crap and I felt the floor flexing and watched the winshied shake back and forth with the deck moving in a different direction, this boat was only 2 yrs old and he had bought new. So there is no way it will run in the water he is talking about at the speeds he says without hurting someone or himself. I would just stay clear of it and way outa the way. I would say hes a couple fries short of a happy meal:

zzzzzz 08-13-2007 07:51 AM

I own a 87 Stingray Maxim 1 which is the 20 (19'3'') foot model, 383 Chevy nothing real fancy, Has the alpha nose cone addition. 68 on gps. I say its possible but HIGHLY dangerous. I know I wouldnt do it. But give the guy credit for doing it. Every jet ski guy on the lake wants to race every time i'm out. Its fun to fool around.

fabricator 08-13-2007 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tinkerer (Post 2231995)
Fabricator - It has been done by many different people.
BRAVOS also.

I wasn't doubting that it could be done. What I am doubting is that THIS guy did it himself.

kennyo 08-13-2007 09:36 AM

Hey, I got a Baja running 85 and Smitty got one running 95 so anything is possible. I do know one fact.... He's a crazy motherf*cker to go that fast in that boat in 2' chop!