Why water cops get a bad name

Old 05-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why water cops get a bad name

well my freind was in the wrong but WTF
a buddy of mine trraded in his cruiser for a small cuddy/run about
he had his waterway sticker on the cruiser and when hi picked up the run about he forgot to get new ones
On the way home from the Marina (he lives on the water ) a cop pulls him over. He show the bill of sale dated the same day offers to call marina for cop to verify he had picked the boat up less the a couple hours before but NO!!!!!!!!! Cop give him $35 ticket and tell him if he wants to fight it he we could beat it because he would not show up for court

Must have needed a few extra tickets fo his quota
Old 05-24-2007, 05:42 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by klaw
well my freind was in the wrong but WTF
a buddy of mine trraded in his cruiser for a small cuddy/run about
he had his waterway sticker on the cruiser and when hi picked up the run about he forgot to get new ones
On the way home from the Marina (he lives on the water ) a cop pulls him over. He show the bill of sale dated the same day offers to call marina for cop to verify he had picked the boat up less the a couple hours before but NO!!!!!!!!! Cop give him $35 ticket and tell him if he wants to fight it he we could beat it because he would not show up for court

Must have needed a few extra tickets fo his quota
Not sure they have quotas......but do know that most are a-holes.....at least they are in MO.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Registered

I was pulled over ealier this year for not having the sticker on the boat. We bought it last september but forgot to bring the papers and stickers along with us. It was the first time we were on the water this year. The cop called it in and verified taxes were payed, checked our life jackets and a few other things and sent us on our way. Not even a warning. Guy was very nice. I actually have nothing but good things to say about the LOTO water patrol. Been pulled over a few times and all of them have been pretty nice.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I was living in Pittsburgh.
Was on the Allegheny, the morning after my 30th B-day.
Had 3 boats at the time. And hadn't used the Cruiser aside from setting it in.
Had spent the night on the boat, and decided to run for a short cruise just to make sure everything was good.We had had a party on the Cruiser, the night before, and had a tub full of beer floating in water - no longer ice.
Got stopped by the volunteer "Fishheads". It's about 10:00 am.
First question was "younz planning on drinking all that beer".
(the beer was warm from the ice melting all night) - I'm drinking water, and not even wearing a hangover.
Explained it was left over from my 30th party last night. They ran us through all the drills, safety gear, lifevests...
and then gave me (boat was in my GF at the time - now wife's name) a fine for about $115 for out-of date Ohio Reg. sticker.
Happy M-F'in 30th B-day.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Registered

Man, the water cops around here are cool. they might pull some one over and check for gear but they are polite and easy to work with, i was pulled over one time going to fast near a Navy ship and they just asked some questions and told me to keep my distance
Old 05-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Up here their pretty good, only been stopped twice in 10 yrs of boating......."can I check your cooler please sir".......is the first words out of their mouth before their even stopped.....as long as thats cool its......"do you have enough life jackets for the people on board sir?......may I see them?"......thats the only two things they care about.......open pipes??.....they dont care
Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered

ODNR sux i hate those party poopers
Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been pulled over by some nice ones.....and been pulled over by some real *ss H*les. Real confrontational, cocky, unnecessarily hostile. Just trying to get you to mouth off so they can take you to jail. I try and have everything as legal as I can. Have read the laws many times so I know they can pretty much do what ever they want to you on the water. I cringe when I see them.
They can ruin your day.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Klaw, With all of the fast canopy boats on the chain, the cops are going to be watching everyone. First bad accident and the speed limits will come.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

The real *****s around my local boating area are the coast guard,about 10 years ago Mi experienced several hi profile boating fatalitys so they had "the big crackdown". The CG and sheriffs dept would sit on the river and wait for you to pull out of hooters then immediately pull you over,full safety inspection,breathelizer,etc. This probably happened to me about 60-75 times,I was NEVER illegal or got ticketed,often you would get pulled oever 2-3 times in one day. It got real old and made alot of boaters very bitter towards law enforcement in the area. It got to a point where I was just outright rude to them and un-cooperative. Nothing worse then having a 19 y/o kid (wearing e-2 stripes,I was e-6 in the Navy) pull you over and treat you like crap. One night I just outright lost it,got pulled over at 4pm heading down the river doing nothing wrong,3 hours later heading out to the bay got pulled over again,suggested that maybe they could skip the full inspection being I had already been through it once that day already and passed plus had a inspection report to prove it,NOPE.3 hours later coming up the river in the dark CG was sitting with absolutely no lights on in the only area thats not a no wake zone,kept my boat on plane and went by them,they followed me to the dock. I jumped on dock,whipped truck up to ramp and started loading boat up,here they come pulling up wanting to do a third inspection,told them to fukk of and kept loading boat up while they tried to radio for civilian law enorcement. Told them I felt 2 inspections in one night were enough and to eat shiit,jumped in truck and drove off while they stood there with a stupid look in there eyes. Thats when I decided it was time to find some new places to go boating where you didn't have to spend 3 hours of your trip pulled over (my old boat at the time had under water exhaust and was fairly docile so it wasn't like i had something super radical). I also donated 500$ towards a class action harrassment lawsuit against the bay county sheriffs dept because the harrassment of recreational boaters was just getting waaay out of hand. You couldn't stop at hooters for dinner without getting pulled over when you left,it was just pure bs,and like I said,I blew the breathelizer countless times and was NEVER leagally drunk . By 2000 when I bought my new Baja 272 the harrassment had pretty much stopped,I have only been pulled over 2 times in 7 years of boating with it,Smitty

Quick Reply: Why water cops get a bad name

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.