Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My expensive lesson at Lake Cumberland Marina (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159280-my-expensive-lesson-lake-cumberland-marina.html)

dean51267 05-28-2007 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bgchuby01 (Post 2142404)
I haul alot of boats for Randy and if his business practices were not on par then he would not be moving the number of boats he is doing. Since this is a hoiday weekend I tried to call his cell and let him know to respond to this but he is gone. As we all know there are THREE sides to every story. Also seems like the compaining party does not know alot about this sport or as some of you suggested he should have flown to look at the boat or hired a profestional to look at it for him

agreed, they move a LOT of boats, and their reputation is strong, so they get the benefit of the doubt, but they should respond, if nothing else to let this community see them come to the table as winners and responsible members of this community.

bgchuby01 05-28-2007 10:29 AM

Randy just called me back, He said the engines have three hours on them and that this man was compaining about some paint flaking on the carbs and an oil leak. Randy stated that he would have had the customer take the boat to Paul Lopez in florida to look at it but he says that he could not reason with the customer. As we all know in todays world a most dealers would not let a deal like this fall apart unless there is more to the story.

bgchuby01 05-28-2007 10:30 AM

randy said other thingsabout this deal, but he would not want me to print these out of being a professional

tgracer 05-28-2007 10:40 AM

I can assure all of you that the information I provided about the events are completely accurate and not embelished or slanted in any way. I honestly tried to reflect the exact condition I found the engines in and what Cumberland agreed to do and not to do. As you can see, the ad clearly states "dyno time only" and was also what I was told by them verbally as well. Trust me, I wouldn't have driven 1000 miles pulling my boat 20 hours straight just to get there and not do the deal and take a $2,000 loss without a very good reason. It may not be big money, but it is to me when misrepresentation is involved. As for Dean's comment I too welcome Cumberland's response... Actually, can't wait to hear it. I was there in person along with my adult son and know exactly what was said and done. Hey, I'd love to see them make it right and send me a check for my expenses - I have all the receipts. Also, for those of you concerned that this is was my first post, please check my registration date - I've been on here reading and learning from all of you for quite a while now. Also, I posted my boat on here for sale a month ago. And, if anyone would like to chat please feel free to call anytime. Lastly, thanks again to all who have offered up advice on getting me into another boat. Now that I'm stepping up to something bigger, I'd like to get more involved in the OSO community.

Best Regards,
Tony Gomez
(954) 673-2225

bgchuby01 05-28-2007 11:27 AM

I just talked to Randy again and he said the customer was overtired from driving20 hours straight. Randy said he offered the customer a hotel room to regroup but the customer decllined. Randy says that he will be back at a computer to give you all his version this evening.

dean51267 05-28-2007 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by tgracer (Post 2142421)
I can assure all of you that the information I provided about the events are completely accurate and not embelished or slanted in any way. I honestly tried to reflect the exact condition I found the engines in and what Cumberland agreed to do and not to do. As you can see, the ad clearly states "dyno time only" and was also what I was told by them verbally as well. Trust me, I wouldn't have driven 1000 miles pulling my boat 20 hours straight just to get there and not do the deal and take a $2,000 loss without a very good reason. It may not be big money, but it is to me when misrepresentation is involved. As for Dean's comment I too welcome Cumberland's response... Actually, can't wait to hear it. I was there in person along with my adult son and know exactly what was said and done. Hey, I'd love to see them make it right and send me a check for my expenses - I have all the receipts. Also, for those of you concerned that this is was my first post, please check my registration date - I've been on here reading and learning from all of you for quite a while now. Also, I posted my boat on here for sale a month ago. And, if anyone would like to chat please feel free to call anytime. Lastly, thanks again to all who have offered up advice on getting me into another boat. Now that I'm stepping up to something bigger, I'd like to get more involved in the OSO community.

Best Regards,
Tony Gomez
(954) 673-2225

"I'd love to see them make it right and send me a check for my expenses - I have all the receipts." ummmmm. I do not have a clue about the situation spoken of, and offer no comment. However that said...

Boaters should have a right and a forum to express grievances, and it should be public, and it should be among knowledgeable boaters. OSO serves as this forum. However that said, merchants should have every right to respond and should do so, we live in an internet/information age, and slander or true negative news can cost a company a reputation very, very quickly (Just ask Randy Schultz).

A few months ago a guy came to buy a motor from me, it was EXACTLY as promised, and Herculean efforts were made to make him happy, all failed. If he had gotten on here and started a thread I would have looked like schite, until the truth came out that he was an impossible customer who bought the wrong parts and brought them with him, who misled us about a boat that had been in storage for 5 years as a boat with a blown motor, and a guy who buys parts on e-bay and expected the mechanic to take them in exchange for the correct ones.

What I learned from bringing two issues to the forum here is that this group is brutal with honesty, and dislikes one sided arguments as much as the other. Again, I know nothing of the facts here, but with the assertions made, do you have photos? "Oil all over the bilge" is a very subjective term. "Pain pealing off the motor" is also subjective. "Gasoline stains" are as well.

Lake Cumberland has a good reputation, Jeff (Big Chubby) is a well respected member of the forum, I have had lunch with him a long, long way from home, he is creditable. The level of communication among members builds or detracts from creditability depending on the content, you have neither good or bad, kind of a clean slate. Sorry to be blunt, but I am at least honest enough to say so.

If Lake Cumberland is turning a tide away from the things that built their reputation, maybe you are the first to say so and bringing your compliant here is a service to the community, maybe it is a way to get something, maybe the deal is not yet settled and you are looking to get them to "sweeten the pot". None of us know, all we have is one guy, with a story that sounds very legit, making a complaint against a merchant with a strong reputation. There is simply not enough info make heads or tails of this.

That said, I believe these issues, when brought to the table, in a brutally honest manner, serve this community well. I know I have avoided some crooks, met some amazing people, and once I started using OSO as an info source, my boating got to be a lot more fun, and a lot less expensive. We have all seen valid complaints against crooked merchants, and crooked complaints against valid merchants. As a consumer I want to hear both sides so when I make buying decisions I am informed, we ain't buying no $.50 pack of bubble gum.

However, to be brutally honest, I have not heard the whole story, so I am reframing from judgment. There were some obvious errors, if you posted here two years you know there are dozens of people who could have looked at that boat for you for no more than a thanks and a beer. A surveyor is a common sense tool when purchasing a boat. Someone asking "Who knows this boat" has got to be one of the often ask questions around here. Right now I would say you made a couple mistakes, it sounds like they did too, but without more info, it stops there. Sorry is that is a little to blunt, but it is honest.

MikeyFIN 05-28-2007 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by bgchuby01 (Post 2142456)
I just talked to Randy again and he said the customer was overtired from driving20 hours straight. Randy said he offered the customer a hotel room to regroup but the customer decllined. Randy says that he will be back at a computer to give you all his version this evening.

20hrs straight driving now thats more than dangeruous for an amateur behing the wheel...
I bet temper was running high at LCM when arriving.
*would be better to leave this hauling stuff to us pro´s.
Guess i have to relocate soon.:drink:

sellsman11 05-28-2007 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by dean51267 (Post 2142465)
"[I]
, Jeff (Big Chubby) is a well respected member of the forum, .

I was with you until I read this!!!:evilb: :evilb: :D