Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Marine engine builder survey (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159531-marine-engine-builder-survey.html)

BenPerfected 05-29-2007 08:43 PM

Marine engine builder survey

What would be a range of labor hours you would estimate to complete a quality rebuild on a NA 454 to 540 ci marine engine? Target 1.1-1.2 HP per CI with 150+ hour usable life.
Assume this "rebuild" will use these parts you pick: cam, lifters, intake manifold, pistons, heads and valve train. Plan to re- use the current block, rods and crankshaft. This project would include:
- Engine dis-assembly
- Magnafluxing (if you sub-contract figure $75 hr)
- Parts cleaning and prep
- All necessary machining (if you sub-contract figure $75 hr)
- Balancing (if you sub-contract figure $75 hr)
- Set up of the combustion chamber for the target CR
- Final valve train set-up, clrearances, etc.
- Fuel system set-up to your spec's (carb, fuel pump, senders)
- Final engine assembly (ready for dyno)
- Engine paint
All parts, marinization, and dyno time would be extra.
Questions:
- Would you offer a 60 day or 20 hour limited warrantee with defined parameters? (from initial verified splash date)
- Would you be present for the initial launch/water test for an additional $500? (you pay all your personal expenses)
You could really help yourselves and the OSO performance boaters if you participate in this thread. With this information, maybe a few more of your customers will now know what to expect.
This info shouldn't be a secret; the quaility custom builder should be proud about the time it takes to do it right.

kaama82 05-29-2007 08:45 PM

Great, can't wait to see what they say.

mrhorsepower1 05-30-2007 11:05 AM

Sounds like fun Sprague. I will put something together.

Panther 05-30-2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by kaama82 (Post 2144317)
Great, can't wait to see what they say.

I just hit start on the microwave, the popcorn should be done soon! :chick:

BenPerfected 06-04-2007 09:09 PM

This is kind of interesting. Some engine builders will quote over the phone, but yet nobody will respond to what is asked about what is a realistic number of hours to do a quality job.
Are the questions difficult?
Would the upfront, honest response get you more business? Do you think your rebuild quotes are a secret? How does the engine building community go about establishing a relationship and trust?
Do the OSO buyers care about what you are buying? Do you know how long it takes to do a rebuild right? Do you want a warranty?
OSO boaters, you deserve a fair answer from any engine builder you are considering doing business with. It is good to shop price on products with a fixed quality; not good on products with variable quality based on effort.

iamfaster 06-04-2007 09:22 PM

min 25k for two motors for 150hours of use equals...............................$166 per hour....then you can blow up your drives and add another 15k....yipeeeee

Stormrider 06-05-2007 08:12 AM

funny, the longer it took mine to get done, the cheaper it was... i bought the first in / last out program, less $/hr. :D

oh, yea, and if a builder sat and thought about these questions... he'd lose 1 week of billable building hours... :D

Panther 06-05-2007 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by BenPerfected (Post 2144313)
What would be a range of labor hours you would estimate to complete a quality rebuild on a NA 454 to 540 ci marine engine? Target 1.1-1.2 HP per CI with 150+ hour usable life.
Assume this "rebuild" will use these parts you pick: cam, lifters, intake manifold, pistons, heads and valve train. Plan to re- use the current block, rods and crankshaft. This project would include:
- Engine dis-assembly
- Magnafluxing (if you sub-contract figure $75 hr)
- Parts cleaning and prep
- All necessary machining (if you sub-contract figure $75 hr)
- Balancing (if you sub-contract figure $75 hr)
- Set up of the combustion chamber for the target CR
- Final valve train set-up, clrearances, etc.
- Fuel system set-up to your spec's (carb, fuel pump, senders)
- Final engine assembly (ready for dyno)
- Engine paint
All parts, marinization, and dyno time would be extra.
Questions:

You have at least $3-4K in machine work and the big nut is in parts ($8-10K, the big nut) and then labor. (this is for 2 engines)

Labor is labor..it depends who you take it to and how much they like you! :D You usually get what you pay for and I think that's why no one has responded to the question regarding labor hours and price. :chick:

Time is also money (on the buyers end). If someone charges you $3-4K in labor to assemble engines but it takes 6 months... I'd go to the guy who charges me $5-6 k but has it finished in a couple weeks. (assuming the quality is the same.)