Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outdrive Oil (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159600-outdrive-oil.html)

Panther 06-04-2007 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by JBoat (Post 2149890)
I would say its leaking pretty good. A 20 minet ride to get the boat back to the launh and pull it out the whole reserve bottle was empy again,

Can it come threw the u joints ? I read a past pot here and that was what other though about a simular issue.

Also any good mechanic shops in CNY - Cicero are with a quick turn around time ??

If it's the yoke seal you should be able to get a 1 day turn around on it.

Before you bring it in tell the service tech what your serial numbers are so they can make sure they have a spare yoke in stock. Sometimes just the seal goes bad and you can get away with polishing the yoke up with some 1K grit wet sand paper, other times it wears a groove in the yoke and you need a new one. It's also a good time to re-seal the rest of the upper end (make sure they replace the shift shaft seal)

BillR 06-04-2007 12:18 PM

Sounds like you blew the carrier bearing seal on the outdrive.
Kinda common.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...%28STANDARD%29

#28 - 31

JBoat 06-04-2007 12:40 PM

IMO ?

Is that the same as a carrier bearing seal or yoke seal ?

Sounds like there could be many places that would cause this issue. I called a local guy to see what there turn around time was and he said most likely the input shaft . So now Im fairly sure I need to have some more knowledged then myself look at it.

Wobble 06-04-2007 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JBoat (Post 2150180)
IMO ?

Sounds like there could be many places that would cause this issue. I called a local guy to see what there turn around time was and he said most likely the input shaft . So now Im fairly sure I need to have some more knowledged then myself look at it.

BillR has posted the correct diagram with the correct parts, it is where the yoke goes through the carrier bearing, the seal runs on the yoke and the yoke can become grooved. Also called the input shaft seal etc.

Strip Poker 388 06-04-2007 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2145234)
I used to encounter that problem on occasion, now, when filling the drive, I re-install the top plug and continue filling from the bottom of the drive until I see a minimum level in the reservoir, at that point I stop and top up to the full line. This seems to eliminate any air pockets.
Have someone watch the reservoir, as it is easy to overfill the bottle using this method.

Thats the same way as me, and I make sure when I pump do make air pockets while pumping to fast

Panther 06-04-2007 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBoat (Post 2150180)
IMO ?

The merc diagrams always give certain parts/seals names but "in general" it's refered to as a "Upper Yoke Seal". Most mechanics will know what you're talking about.

If you call it a "carrier" seal they may get confused (or at least I would) and think you're referring to the propshaft seals or the o-ring that seals the propshaft "carrier" in the lower unit.

No biggie just remembering when people would explain stuff to me and customers not being able to explain what the problem was...:drink:

JBoat 06-04-2007 06:54 PM

Thanks guys. I dropped it off today with my fingers crossed.