Notices

Outdrive Oil

Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JBoat
I would say its leaking pretty good. A 20 minet ride to get the boat back to the launh and pull it out the whole reserve bottle was empy again,

Can it come threw the u joints ? I read a past pot here and that was what other though about a simular issue.

Also any good mechanic shops in CNY - Cicero are with a quick turn around time ??
If it's the yoke seal you should be able to get a 1 day turn around on it.

Before you bring it in tell the service tech what your serial numbers are so they can make sure they have a spare yoke in stock. Sometimes just the seal goes bad and you can get away with polishing the yoke up with some 1K grit wet sand paper, other times it wears a groove in the yoke and you need a new one. It's also a good time to re-seal the rest of the upper end (make sure they replace the shift shaft seal)
Old 06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you blew the carrier bearing seal on the outdrive.
Kinda common.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...%28STANDARD%29

#28 - 31

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO ?

Is that the same as a carrier bearing seal or yoke seal ?

Sounds like there could be many places that would cause this issue. I called a local guy to see what there turn around time was and he said most likely the input shaft . So now Im fairly sure I need to have some more knowledged then myself look at it.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO ?

Sounds like there could be many places that would cause this issue. I called a local guy to see what there turn around time was and he said most likely the input shaft . So now Im fairly sure I need to have some more knowledged then myself look at it.
BillR has posted the correct diagram with the correct parts, it is where the yoke goes through the carrier bearing, the seal runs on the yoke and the yoke can become grooved. Also called the input shaft seal etc.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I used to encounter that problem on occasion, now, when filling the drive, I re-install the top plug and continue filling from the bottom of the drive until I see a minimum level in the reservoir, at that point I stop and top up to the full line. This seems to eliminate any air pockets.
Have someone watch the reservoir, as it is easy to overfill the bottle using this method.
Thats the same way as me, and I make sure when I pump do make air pockets while pumping to fast

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

IMO ?

The merc diagrams always give certain parts/seals names but "in general" it's refered to as a "Upper Yoke Seal". Most mechanics will know what you're talking about.

If you call it a "carrier" seal they may get confused (or at least I would) and think you're referring to the propshaft seals or the o-ring that seals the propshaft "carrier" in the lower unit.

No biggie just remembering when people would explain stuff to me and customers not being able to explain what the problem was...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I dropped it off today with my fingers crossed.