If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Boats:
    Virginia Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    There are plenty of idiots who drive cars both with and without licenses. Licensing boaters will not prevent accidents.

Its as tragic situation that a woman lost her life and that her children lost their mother. RIP.
    I second this statement. Truely tragic! And I will not speculate as to what happened here.

I remember one time we were tooling through the Narrows (First Landing State Park) which has a really nice beach for pulling up. There is sometimes a stiff current there which can make beaching up tricky. There was this guy who was beached up with his outboard in gear to keep him straight up on the beach. AND he was letting his kids play in the water behind the boat!!

Sorry, not related to this thread, but to Griff's comment.

My Boats:
    little cat...BIG MOTOR
    Aurora Ontario

My Boats:
    1998 Sonic 26 Prowler 525SC (updated to a ZOOMY 600hp)
    Saucier/Gulfport, MS
    Quote Originally Posted by mpally View Post
    Even if you are required to get a license, it will not stop accidents. All drivers have drivers license and look how many accidents occur each and every day. Licenses will not stop accidents. The answer is not always more government involvement.
    I do agree with that....I suppose it's just the fact that it's so sad when you hear about an accident like this, & feel that it was very much, preventable, & maybe if there was something in place that would ensure that the "driver" is "SUPPOSE" to know how to be safe on the boat. Like you said, all drivers have, or are suppose to have a license to drive, & look at what we've got on our roads....

My Boats:
    '96 Scarab
    As the captain ( and I use that term loosely because many boaters wouldn't make a speck on a Captain's azz) of any vessel, you are responsible for all of your passengers and their belongings. It is a huge responsibility. Formal training would help allieviate some of the ignorance that demonstrated in boating but not solve the problems nor eliminate all of the operator caused accidents.

This is a tragic story, may the lady RIP.

My Boats:
    scratching the surface!
    Flower Mound, TX
    training and licensing isnt going to help stupidity!! Look at all the idiots on the road here we had a lady turning around in another persons driveway and run their son over in his drive way. (no relation to the story but to the licensing ordeal) It is a shame for a person to lose their life due to this and hopefully the kids we not around to witness this.

Lake Texoma

A very tragic accident that could have easily been avoided. I know that I don`t know ALL of the facts, but being killed by a prop tells me that the driver was running the engine ( in gear ) while someone was boarding the boat.

Our thoughts and prayers to all of those involved.

Newbury Park, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerrick63 View Post
    One thing this has reinforced with myself, is the question...Why are we not required to have a "License" to drive a boat? We have to have one to drive a car, & that requires written & a driver test. Why not for a boat? How many accidents can be traced back to an inexperienced driver.
    While a driver's license sounds like a good idea on the surface, in reality, they no longer serve an function as a safety tool, other than giving authorities the option of revoking driving priveledges. People absolutely do not know the rules of the road, nor are most of them enforced. We go 12 years between written driving tests here in California, as long as your record is clean. You never have to be checked out in a car, unless it's your first license, or you are very old and turned in by someone. A driver's license does not guarantee any skill level for handling the vehicle. How many people know to turn into a skid?

I'm going to throw out a wild guess here, and speculate that drinking was involved.

My Boats:
    Zodiac RIB
    Grand Haven, MI USA
    The only way yo get "sucked" into the prop wash is if the boat was beginning to move forward with some pretty strong power, most likely getting on plane. I figure she was climbing the side, hanging from her armpits, the boat begins to move and is gathering speed to get on plane, she could not hold on (most could not) and was swept to the stern and under. I have been hit in the head with a small fiberglass prop on a 6 hp motor, it gashed me good, fortunately it was from being pulled to start and it was in gear so it spun the prop, I was 7 and learned very fast to just shut down if anyone is near or even thinking of getting near. Another time I was trying to get a dog in a big boat, the motors were off but the stern was pitching up and down, in the middle of lifting this 100lb lab the boat pitched up, I moved over just a bit and the prop came down and ripped my side open, in one last effort I threw the dog in and got on myself, it was really bad and blood and water make a mess. I still have that scar too. So things happen but can be avoided if you are very aware of the danger. This reminds me of the summer a small girl jumped off the rear of a boat and landed right on the drives, she did not make it either, the boat was under power and moving backward, it was just a friend of the owners daughter too. Those that do not boat need to be watched the most, they just do not understand the danger. What a sad story, I feel for her kids......

My Boats:
    '87 Kevlar Cig Top Gun,24 ft party barge"BaDaBoom"
    New Orleans,La.
    The first time anyone gets on my boat,I go thru all the "rules and regs"If the kids(or adults) won't listen,they don't ride.Of course,this is no guaranty something won't happen. Explained where the prop was to my step daughter three times,still kicked it and opened her toe. BOB

Platinum Member Platinum Member Jassman's Avatar
    I heard about this on friday, very unfortunate, I feel for everyone involved, especially the children. She was a realator in our area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast