Notices

Fever or Lightning

Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fever or Lightning

What is the major difference between a Fountain Fever and a Lightning.

Looking at the many used boats for sale, i noticed several lightning 38's and also fever 35's.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I always thought the Fever was 38 and the Lightning a 35. The bigger discrepancy would be between the 35 Lightning and the 35 Executioner...my Lightning looks just like an Ex does nowadays. Lightning is the more "plushy" model...usually full windshield instead of a race fairing, more headroom, more ammenities belowdecks.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:48 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

now its the smaller boats that are fevers......27(out of production) and 29.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lightnings have the full windshield and a walkaround, fevers usually have a fairing and no walkaround. I think.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered

O.K. Here's the skinny... The fever was made in a 29,32
and 38. there never was a lightning in those models.
a lightning was availible in a 35 and 42. The main difference
is the deck. A lightning deck is raised slightly in the center
and has a walk around. When Fountain came out with the
twin step 35 it became the new Lightning. The signal step
35 that used to be the lightning was reintoduced as a 35
classic which then became the Executioner. The 42 Ex
and Lightning share the same bottom. The 42 Ex has the
old style deck and windscreen. The 38 fever is history and
became a twin step lightning sharing the rounded Euro
windshield with the rest of the Lightning lineup. That
was easy Oh yea..I dont no anything about the 27.
The 24 was called a CS.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Registered

They used to make 27, 29, 32 and 38 fevers, now only 29 Fevers. Lightnings were made in 35, 38 and 42. Fevers don't have walkarounds, so you get a little more cockpit width, but it is a little tough to get up on the fwd deck of the boat. You could get them either with race fairings or the plexiglass "venturi" windscreens. The "new" lightnings had/have full windshields and different intake vent styling at the engine compartment. I think you can still get the race fairing for a newer Lightning, though. For a while, Fountain called the single step 35 the "lightning", then when the twin step 35 came out, they called the 35 single step the "classic", and a little later they changed the name to the current "executioner". The 38 is only available in the Lightning model, now. Somewhere around 1999 they stopped making the 38 Fever. 42's have a variety of different names, Poker Run, Lightning, Executioner, are those that come to mind. Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Registered

You must of hit the "post reply" while I was typing mine. For a couple of years, I think you could get the 38 in either a Fever or Lightning. My friend had a couple of each in his showroom. I'll have to go thru some of my old brouchures.

Last edited by bob_t; 06-03-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_t
They used to make 27, 29, 32 and 38 fevers, now only 29 Fevers. Lightnings were made in 35, 38 and 42. Fevers don't have walkarounds, so you get a little more cockpit width, but it is a little tough to get up on the fwd deck of the boat. You could get them either with race fairings or the plexiglass "venturi" windscreens. The "new" lightnings had/have full windshields and different intake vent styling at the engine compartment. I think you can still get the race fairing for a newer Lightning, though. For a while, Fountain called the single step 35 the "lightning", then when the twin step 35 came out, they called the 35 single step the "classic", and a little later they changed the name to the current "executioner". The 38 is only available in the Lightning model, now. Somewhere around 1999 they stopped making the 38 Fever. 42's have a variety of different names, Poker Run, Lightning, Executioner, are those that come to mind. Hope this helps.
Mostly correct except that they made the 38 Fever thru 2001 model year. I have a 2000 38 Fever. There is quite a bit more cockpit space in the fevers but you do give up the walkway, built in ladder, and freeboard - the lightnings are deeper.

As a sidenote, at the request of a customer Reggie did make one 38 Fever with the second generation stepped hull in 2003.
The customer rolled it his first time out doing hard turns that were no problem with the older hulls but a big NO NO with the bigger steps.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mackattack
What is the major difference between a Fountain Fever and a Lightning.

Looking at the many used boats for sale, i noticed several lightning 38's and also fever 35's.
I'm getting one in on trade. From what I've seen lightnings sell easier than Ex. '98 35 Lightning. 502efi's with 120ish hrs, bravos, full cabin, etc. Fresh water boat. Let me know if it interests you. Looking to make a quick deal.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the lightnings have the windshield that comes to a point, where the fever is curved?

Quick Reply: Fever or Lightning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.