Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   launching your boat in the ocean (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160154-launching-your-boat-ocean.html)

StillHaulin@63 06-06-2007 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by BajaFresh (Post 2152880)
Running in the ocean is a blast! :evilb:

There's no better way to go boating :drink:

phragle 06-06-2007 11:30 AM

almost any marina should have a hoist..but it isnt cheap

Anarchy Powerboats 06-06-2007 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2152889)
Lido Dry Stacks in Newport Beach, CA can lift your boat in and out for you. It won't be cheap, but its MUCH better than dipping a steel trailer in salt. It will rust away quickly in less than 2 years.

They wont do it for you anymore unless you have a rack there:(

Anarchy Powerboats 06-06-2007 12:42 PM

Marina Del Rey will sling launch you

StillHaulin@63 06-06-2007 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING (Post 2153246)
Marina Del Rey will sling launch you

I looked at the Pier-44 hoist and quite frankly, it's condition and proximity really scared the heck out of me, especially when the owner/operator told me he can only launch boats when the owner helps out!

The Seamark hoist only operates when the fellows decide to work that day :mad:

Insurance God 06-06-2007 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 2152867)
If you wash/rinse your trailer after you dunk in the salt water it will help alot. Aluminum is obviously better for salt water use.

On a side note, if you are only two weeks new to boating, I would highly recomend putting in plenty of seat time in and around protected areas before making open ocean runs.

VERY good point! Also, make sure you have a GPS. Once you are out a few miles, it can get grey & you will not see any land or structures. Get to know your boat first.

Anarchy Powerboats 06-06-2007 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61 (Post 2153260)
I looked at the Pier-44 hoist and quite frankly, it's condition and proximity really scared the heck out of me, especially when the owner/operator told me he can only launch boats when the owner helps out!

The Seamark hoist only operates when the fellows decide to work that day :mad:

Insurance baby, insurance:D

Sydwayz 06-06-2007 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING (Post 2153245)
They wont do it for you anymore unless you have a rack there:(

Thanks for the correction Ken.

Steamin Rice 06-06-2007 03:19 PM

Keep your eye out for some SCOPE events and show up to some of them - You will have a group to hit the water with and show you the ropes.

If you launch with a steel trailer in the ocean, you will get rust spots in time but it won't completely fall apart. I had a steel extreme trailer and I boated int eh ocean for about two years with that trailer and it was still in good shape when I sold the boat. Make sure to rinse the trailer after you launch, and fill the trailer tubes with fresh was as much as possible.

For me, the extra wear and tear on my trailer was worth it to boat in the ocean.

US1 Fountain 06-06-2007 03:23 PM

Damn, that salt water boating sounds like too much work! :D