Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
launching your boat in the ocean >

launching your boat in the ocean

Notices

launching your boat in the ocean

Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen what saltwater can do to steel trailers. My dad's trailer for his 21 Checkmate rusted through in 6 years. One of the main beams actually twisted and snapped due to the rust. I would say that he dipped it in saltwater 5-6 times a year and rinsed it thoroughly after each use. He always boated in freshwater before he put it away for the season. I guess that is the price he was willing to pay to have a nice matching painter trailer.

My galvanized trailer seems to be holding up, but the brake drums are shot.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in Virginia Beach VA for 10 years; boated every weekend never had a problem. The ramp had a hose so I would just spray off quickly each time I put the trailer in the salt water. Flushed the engine each time I got home.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered

Scope is doing a gig in Los Alamitos bay next weekend (the 16th) you can toss the boat in at Second and PCH (Davies Ramp) and put right over to Acapulco or Tanalum (I forget which but they're right next to each other) and meet some of the guys. I'm new to the group this year and they seem like a decent bunch.

I wouldn't worry too much about the trailer, just wash and flush everything. Sh1t's made to get broken, it's the way of the universe!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tim mccray
Some of the guys with steel trailers hit Castaic after to dunk and flush the trailer. While their at it sometimes they take a quick lap around the lake to flush the motors as well. Since you live near by that could be an option for you. If you haven't been to Catalina before, go with someone who has some experience. This time of year, try to go in the morning and leave there to come back no later than 2pm. During the summer months the middle of the channel gets a little rough in the afternoon. I've been caught in 8' swells before. Get's pretty rough even for a 38' boat. You'll get your salad tossed in a 30'. If you want any details on anything PM me. I would be more than happy to help you out.
hey tim
thats the same thing one of the guys told me over at howard boats, you know the place next to teague marine? that was when I was first looking at boats. anyway thanks for the info guys. As long as there is away to boat in the ocean without dipping my trailer in the water then im good. I wont go near it tho without a gps or radio. Im thinking late this summer ill be ready for a trip to catalina after some seat time in the river. What else is there to see out there and do besides catalina? Is there any places where boaters go and hang out by our beaches? thanks for all the help guys I hope to meet some local ocean boaters soon to show me the ropes. I dont need to get my salad tossed out in the ocean lol unwillingly.
another question what exactly is scope and who all belongs to the group?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I forget when it is, but over the line in mission bay can be fun, its also one of the few places I know where you can pull a boat up to the beach
Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FOXMXPSYCHO
hey tim
thats the same thing one of the guys told me over at howard boats, you know the place next to teague marine? that was when I was first looking at boats. anyway thanks for the info guys. As long as there is away to boat in the ocean without dipping my trailer in the water then im good. I wont go near it tho without a gps or radio. Im thinking late this summer ill be ready for a trip to catalina after some seat time in the river. What else is there to see out there and do besides catalina? Is there any places where boaters go and hang out by our beaches? thanks for all the help guys I hope to meet some local ocean boaters soon to show me the ropes. I dont need to get my salad tossed out in the ocean lol unwillingly.
another question what exactly is scope and who all belongs to the group?

George

Whatever you do......watch out for those SCOPE guys! All they know how do to is boat and have fun. You know, I have a steel trailer for my 38' that is about 6 years old that I used to launch in the salt all the time. I rack my boat now cuz I'm lazy. It is one of those trailers that you can add air to, brake flush kit, blah blah blah.....really neat stuff! Used to launch the boat, tie it up, go back , wash the trailer wipe it down park it. THEN go boating. What a PITA.

A few years later, I washed it fewer and fewer times after launching and just washed it when I was washing the boat at the end of the day. Well......it rusts, but you know what, it's just a trailer. Every year or every other year you redo the brakes, repaint if needed, fix wiring.....I'd rather be boating more in the BIG BLUE than having a *****en trailer that is showroom. Taking care of the boat is a different story....I'm a nut about that!

Well....that is my take on it!

Come on to a SCOPE event! There is a San Diego trip this weekend, and a Lake Mead trip in about two weeks. Check it out! I hope to be out on fathers day to Catalina!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, I've known Gene and Mike from Howard Custom Boats for quite a while now. I use to have one of their boats, great product. Scope is a group of people, a club, that does several boating events a year as a group. Not just off shore. As Nort mentioned they also do lake runs as well. Fore more information about SCOPE and it's events you can go to www.scopeinfo.com and find out everything you want to know. As for the trailer, screw it. Did you buy it look pretty or to use? Like Nort said, you can always repaint, rewire and repair anything and everything if need be. Just go out and play with your toy and have fun. Don't stress....
Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tim mccray
Yea, I've known Gene and Mike from Howard Custom Boats for quite a while now. I use to have one of their boats, great product. Scope is a group of people, a club, that does several boating events a year as a group. Not just off shore. As Nort mentioned they also do lake runs as well. Fore more information about SCOPE and it's events you can go to www.scopeinfo.com and find out everything you want to know. As for the trailer, screw it. Did you buy it look pretty or to use? Like Nort said, you can always repaint, rewire and repair anything and everything if need be. Just go out and play with your toy and have fun. Don't stress....
GENE! thats the guy I spoke to, nice guy... I see you live in scv? which city? if you ever see a huge lifted black diesel excursion with young dudes and hot blondes in it pulling a 30ft eagle thatll be me...
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
George

Whatever you do......watch out for those SCOPE guys! All they know how do to is boat and have fun. You know, I have a steel trailer for my 38' that is about 6 years old that I used to launch in the salt all the time. I rack my boat now cuz I'm lazy. It is one of those trailers that you can add air to, brake flush kit, blah blah blah.....really neat stuff! Used to launch the boat, tie it up, go back , wash the trailer wipe it down park it. THEN go boating. What a PITA.

A few years later, I washed it fewer and fewer times after launching and just washed it when I was washing the boat at the end of the day. Well......it rusts, but you know what, it's just a trailer. Every year or every other year you redo the brakes, repaint if needed, fix wiring.....I'd rather be boating more in the BIG BLUE than having a *****en trailer that is showroom. Taking care of the boat is a different story....I'm a nut about that!

Well....that is my take on it!

Come on to a SCOPE event! There is a San Diego trip this weekend, and a Lake Mead trip in about two weeks. Check it out! I hope to be out on fathers day to Catalina!
I kinda like having fun so I might just take a little walk on the darkside and look for those scope guys thanks for the help buddy.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FOXMXPSYCHO
I kinda like having fun so I might just take a little walk on the darkside and look for those scope guys thanks for the help buddy.

Well........hope to see you soon! Hit the website !

Quick Reply: launching your boat in the ocean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.