Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   launching your boat in the ocean (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160154-launching-your-boat-ocean.html)

FOXMXPSYCHO 06-06-2007 04:16 AM

launching your boat in the ocean

Im new to boating period, It hasnt even been 2 weeks since Ive owned a boat. Now my question is... is there any other alternative to launching your boat into the ocean other then dipping your trailer into the salt water? I keep reading about how bad salt water ruins your trailer. My boat came with a extreme trailer and disc brakes, if I were to dip it in salt water whats the life expectancy of it?
Im really interested in driving my boat out to catalina island from long beach, I also hear you could lift your boat with a crane and then put it in the water? if so who in long beach does this?
Any advice from people with more experience boating in the ocean would be helpful. Whats the do's and donts? when is the best time to go to catalina etc,etc...

Thanks
George

zimm17 06-06-2007 05:32 AM

Some marinas will lift off a trailer with their forklift. Check into marinas with dry rack storage- they have the big forklifts. Trailer type will determine if they can slide the fork lift right in, or if they have to prop up the boat and use slings.

Is your trailer steel or aluminum? If aluminum, I'd dunk it and rinse it really good when you get home. I only boat in salt water and that's what I do.

SANLEONKID 06-06-2007 08:13 AM

I bought an Alum trailer with mine recently. After fighting short ramps, low water, packed parking lots and trouble working with only a singe side-kick at times I went Dry Rack . It took a while to sign up and sling her off the traier last Saturday but when I came back from riding, the big fork lift placed my baby gingerly in a land cradle where I washed her down and checked everything out then whisked her away to her cozy rack up on the third floow of her condo. On Sunday it was a quick call to the marina as I approached and the only question I had to answer was rather I wanted it in a cradle or on the water. As I had all my stuff on from the day before I asked that she be launched and after loading the cooler we were rocketing away in less than 5 minutes. SWEET ! ! ! !!

Tom A. 06-06-2007 08:21 AM

If you wash/rinse your trailer after you dunk in the salt water it will help alot. Aluminum is obviously better for salt water use.

On a side note, if you are only two weeks new to boating, I would highly recomend putting in plenty of seat time in and around protected areas before making open ocean runs.

BajaFresh 06-06-2007 08:30 AM

There are a bunch of guys on here in So Cal that go out on a regular basis. Try to get hooked up with them. I used to run out of Channel Island Harbor in Oxnard which isn't too far from you (it's a nice run to Santa Barbara from there).

Most of the ramps have washdowns (bring lots of quarters). Stop by West Marine and get a big bottle of Salt Away and the adapter. Make sure you have you own hose too. I used to wash down the trailer after launching and the boat and trailer after pulling out. Make sure to flush your motors too for at least five minutes each. I would flush the motors with water for a few minutes, then turn on the Salt Away and run them but shut them down before the water coming out clears. That way the Salt Away stays in the motors. I re-wash everything when I got home.

Running in the ocean is a blast! :evilb:

Sydwayz 06-06-2007 08:32 AM

Lido Dry Stacks in Newport Beach, CA can lift your boat in and out for you. It won't be cheap, but its MUCH better than dipping a steel trailer in salt. It will rust away quickly in less than 2 years.

East Coast B 06-06-2007 08:40 AM

Steel trailer - DON'T DIP!

Aluminum w/ disc brakes and torsion axle - Your good to go, rinse well. Drum brakes - just can't rinse them thoroughly enough to keep them from rusting to dust!!!

tim mccray 06-06-2007 11:20 AM

Some of the guys with steel trailers hit Castaic after to dunk and flush the trailer. While their at it sometimes they take a quick lap around the lake to flush the motors as well. Since you live near by that could be an option for you. If you haven't been to Catalina before, go with someone who has some experience. This time of year, try to go in the morning and leave there to come back no later than 2pm. During the summer months the middle of the channel gets a little rough in the afternoon. I've been caught in 8' swells before. Get's pretty rough even for a 38' boat. You'll get your salad tossed in a 30'. If you want any details on anything PM me. I would be more than happy to help you out.

StillHaulin@63 06-06-2007 11:20 AM

I have a 3900# Baja 232 which I keep on the trailer at Channel Islands Landing in Oxnard.
They use an 8000# hoist to launch and pickup the boat when requested as part of their
dry-storage service. They also have a great washdown rack for flushing and cleanup.
It's a fabulous option, especially when you don't even own a tow vehicle!

tim mccray 06-06-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61 (Post 2153118)
I have a 3900# Baja 232 which I keep on the trailer at Channel Islands Landing in Oxnard.
They use an 8000# hoist to launch and pickup the boat when requested as part of the dry-storage service. They also have a great washdown rack for flushing and cleanup.
It's a fabulous option, especially when you don't even own a tow vehicle!

That would be a good option as well. Just run down the 126 and in less than an hour, you're there.