If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Gas Tank Leak

My Boats:
    03 PowerQuest Revenge
    Marblehead Ohio

Gas Tank Leak

The fitting that is welded on the top of my tank is leaking. We tested it and found that the weld is leaking. Is there any kind of epoxy that will fix this? I would like to at least get thru the summer.. Thanks for any help.

My Boats:
    I think I have a Center Console now
    Ft. Lauderdale Florida & Tarpon Springs Florida
    You can use any type of permatex and it will last for the summer. NO ONE WILL RE WELD THE TANK. only other option is to bore out the fitting and thread it and then use pipe dope on a fitting that matches the hole. My tanks had the fuel inlet fitting welded but the fuel pick ups were threaded. Just remember, dont grind ,saw, drill anything without proper venalation, the spark from the drill motor will set off the tanks. The tanks are alumninum so you wont get any sparks from a drill or saw, but the high rpm's of a grinder will.

My Boats:
    24' Pantera
    Apache Jct. AZ
    I thought I'd heard somewhere on this board that to weld the tanks, you should fill the tank with an inert gas such as Argon, (after draining of course). And it could be done safely.
    Just something I think I remember reading here.
    Do a search - I'm sure you'll find some info here.

My Boats:
    Toledo Ohio Eubank Ky
    Dry ice will do the trick.The Old Mans rule of thumb that has kept Me alive is 1LB of dry ice per gallon of capacity,or 60 lbs of dry ice in a 60 gallon tank.However since you tank is leaking, the foam surounding the tank is most likely saturated with fuel and could present further danger.My friend devoleped a leak in a 120 gallon tank and I told Him to use a product called Seal All (Yellow and red tube available at most hardware stores) to temporarily patch the tank and it lasted all season.Over the winter I welded up a new tank that was made of thicker alum and he has since installed it.

My Boats:
    long island, newyork
    the weld is leaking most likely because of dis-similiar metals causing electrolosis.
    and yes you can drain , flush with water, fush with water and baking soda, and fill with argon or more cost effective co2.

i have done this a few times in cases where the only other option was to cut floor out of boat.

make sure you have the welder fabricate you new pick ups from aluminium.

Gold Member Gold Member phragle's Avatar
    My Boats:
    22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC
    Toledo Oh
    a rather elaborate fix, but just use a suitable pickup tube with the apropriate fittings instead of the big mouth filler in the pik, make a ring for the inside of the tank with nuts welded on for fastening.. cutting the ring in half will facilitate getting it inside the tank, a dab of silicone will hold it in place..if you want to get really fancy, using a gasket on the inside between the tank and ring and slightly oversizing the bolt holes in the tank will eliminate all dissimiliar metal contact. when making the hole in the tank, use an air drill to elimiante sparks from the drill motor and adding some heavy grease to the cut a couple times should trap most of the chips and dust
    Attached Images Attached Images
    please read the fine print