Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160229-i-am-sick-effing-tired-no-lanyard-bs.html)

Donzi John 06-08-2007 11:17 AM

Really good thread guys, I also just ordered a new lanyard/wristband as well.

John

cuda 06-08-2007 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Both my Formula and Donzi have the Merc kill switches. I wear the one for the Donzi around my ankle, because I'm sitting down, and the switch is under the dash. I wear the one on the Formula on my pants, because I'm standing up.

blaniac 06-08-2007 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2153953)
I respectfully disagree. BIG difference. Non-use of your seatbelt does not affect anyone but the one who chooses not to wear it. (Unless you eject out of your car and land on someone or someone's property).

Seatbelt use is more equivalent to PFD use.

Non-use of your lanyard affects EVERYONE around you.

Could not agree more, great point ....

Croozin2 06-08-2007 01:37 PM

Days of racing outboards got me in the habit of connecting the lanyard each and every time I get in the boat. We also had a lanyard for the fuel pumps. Most I/O's with electric pumps have oil pressure switches but if you don't, consider a lanyard for em.

Great Topic.

jhiguy377 06-08-2007 03:56 PM

Ok, I'll admit that I didn't use my kill switch lanyards last year - my excuse, I pretty much always keep it under 40mph. But - I do want to re-wire them this season leading to my question - How? Do I just use the kill switches to kill the juice to my coils? or is there some way that they are supposed to ground the ignition? Thanks in advance. Jeff

Sydwayz 06-08-2007 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jhiguy377 (Post 2156251)
Ok, I'll admit that I didn't use my kill switch lanyards last year - my excuse, I pretty much always keep it under 40mph. But - I do want to re-wire them this season leading to my question - How? Do I just use the kill switches to kill the juice to my coils? or is there some way that they are supposed to ground the ignition? Thanks in advance. Jeff

You just install them in the Purple Ignition wire that leads from your Key Switch(es). When the lanyard is pulled, it kills the ignition power.

camptappakeg69 06-08-2007 05:07 PM

Great thread, really never used to use one unless i was alone or it was rough out, Guess it's my own stupidity for not thinking my unmanned boat as a missile. I will take the extra 10 seconds to clip to my belt loop from now on!:cool:

jhiguy377 06-08-2007 05:35 PM

thanks. sydwayz I'm going out to the shop right now to wire mine up. I appreciate the info. - jeff

cuda 06-08-2007 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jhiguy377 (Post 2156251)

Read post #86.

jhiguy377 06-08-2007 08:41 PM

thanks cuda - jeff