Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS. >

I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.

Notices

I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I usually boat naked......what should I do?
Not sure.....but i have a feeling you will be getting some creative answers REAL soon!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some pics. of my switch. Everything came from www.overtons.com and is shown in DoTheMaths earlier post. Wrist band for when you have trunks on. Unclip the band and use the clip for your belt loop or D-ring on your Lifeline. I hang the band on the shifter and it doesn't get in the way around the dock We're out of here heading down to Norfolk Harborfest Everybody have a SAFE weekend
Attached Thumbnails I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.-dsc00147.jpg   I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.-dsc00149.jpg   I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.-dsc00150.jpg  

Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I usually boat naked......what should I do?
Almost too easy, but... You can replace the wrist band that A.S is wearing with this Norty and...
Attached Thumbnails I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.-107465050_889ec8c10a.jpg  
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
Ok, heres a questions. My boat has the little curly cord with a small clip at the end. I usually don't were a life jacket (and no I don't want to hear a lecture about that right now) so where do I clip the lanyard? If I'm wearing shorts its no problem to hook it to a belt loop or something but what about when I'm wearing a swim suit. Would be worried it would come off if just clipped to the wasteband.
I wear a nylon belt around my waist when I'm on plane. I figure if I gonna do it, I'll do it right. I wouldn't trust any wimpy drawstring or anything else to yank out two kill switches during a violent ejection.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, will do some digging...
Old 06-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wrist-band concept can be done in many varieties, much like the surfers use for their boards. I guess the more stylish you make it, the more apt one is to wear for the "Kewl" factor...

Geesh, i need to edit in this comment.....Hey Active, we'll see ya at Harborfest....!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Last year I went to the Around Manhattan Brunch Run at the end of the season.....

the group who had earlier made comments about my life jackets makes a last minute dash and deliberately tries to cut me off..... and/or hose me down....
T2x
I was there too...sometimes having the slowest boat in the bunch keeps me out of the path of these d!ckheads.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gordo
You're freaking kidding me, right?
If you decide to exercise your "freedom of choice" by not wearing your lanyard and are for whatever reason thrown from your helm or rendered unable to control your boat, and your boat runs into mine causing damage to my boat, or worse yet, injures one of my friends, family, or even myself, Make NO mistake I WILL come after you with every part of my being in every way possible.
Lighten up GORDO. Tell me where in my post did it say that I don't support the action of wearing lanyards. I was simply pointing out the counterpoint which by the way is another one of the freedoms that we have (freedom of speech) provided by the constitution that, as a naval officer for more years than you've probably been boating, I've been proud to support and defend. Perhaps we need to have safety lanyards and other items on everything to prevent idiots from doing stupid things. Will that stop it from happening?? The answer is NO and none of us here need to get all high and mighty and get on a soapbox. Please don't embarrass yourself by communicating some veil threat about "coming after me with every part..."

Dave Goodman
CDR, USN-R
VYPER340
Old 06-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reckless32
DITTO. I've got both lanyards connected to one wrist-band. I must admit though, that I am guilty of only wearing it when in rough waters; by myself; or in a poker run. The wrist band concept makes it super simple and unobtrusive. The full time wearing though will need some conscious effort on my part. It's a hard point to argue.

Hey Vype, heard you were back in the Russian mother land? When you getting back? Gonna make the raftup at the Cove Saturday for Harborfest?...
Rick - I am once again in the former USSR but will be returning from my around the world business trip (in 5 days) on Satruday afternoon. It's not likely that I will be meeting up at the cove since I will be jet lagged like a mo-fo. It's 1:15am here (only 2:15pm your time) and I leave at 7pm tonight for Dubai... Have fun and perhaps I'll see you all Sunday, assuming the Dave L has put my trim cables and indicator back together

Da Svidanya
Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered

Freedom of speech is guaranteed by the Constitution, as Dave Goodman points out. And I got what you were saying, Dave, and respect your contribution. You were just pointing out that in a free society people are free to make idiotic choices, and often do. Very true.

But our freedom to behave like an idiots is only good until the time that behavior causes harm to others. At that point, our freedoms likely will become curtailed. Might not happen overnight, but it will happen.

It could be from the legal side as either restrictive legislation from lawmakers or litigation from those our actions harmed. It could come from the economic side, as in insurance companies refusing to insure us because of our idiotic behavior.

We tend to get confused over what is a "right" and what is a "privilege." Freedom of speech is a right. Recreational boating, just like driving a car, is a privilege. Both are privileges that can be taken away if we screw up.

Wearing lanyards is cheap insurance against the worst case. I can't see why anyone wouldn't wear one. Forgetting is one thing, happens to all of of us. But refusing? Some people cannot be stupid-proofed.

Quick Reply: I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.