Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160229-i-am-sick-effing-tired-no-lanyard-bs.html)

Gizmo 06-07-2007 02:12 PM

Great thread Brian! Also glad to hear you are doing better.
I bought wrist bands simular to Activeshack's from Wal-Mart. I bought one for me and for a couple of friends. Kinda one of those deals that doesn't cost much and may save one of us.
Are you back on the water, yet, Brian?

jmeng 06-07-2007 02:17 PM

Just ordered a purple lanyard and wrist band combo from Overtons...

wstultz 06-07-2007 02:27 PM

Anybody notice what the three examples had in common?

Steps.

If your going to buy a nice new boat with steps, learn how to operate it properly and definitely wear your lanyard.

Good thread.

Sydwayz 06-07-2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2154564)
I usually boat naked......what should I do? :drink:

I'd advise you to clip it to your pecker, but I don't think they make lanyards that long; since CK keeps it in her purse, and she is usually somewhere taking care of business while you are goofing off with the boats.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a custom butt-plug with a D-ring on it, but I don't know if they make one big enough to create enough friction to hold it in.

:evilb: :drink: :D

wstultz 06-07-2007 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2154803)
I'd advise you to clip it to your pecker, but I don't think they make lanyards that long; since CK keeps it in her purse, and she is usually somewhere taking care of business while you are goofing off with the boats.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a custom butt-plug with a D-ring on it, but I don't know if they make one big enough to create enough friction to hold it in.

Nice

Sydwayz 06-07-2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 2154265)
(Tongue in cheek here.) Bryan - If you hadn't been wearing your seatbelt in that ThunderChicken, would you have at least put on the lanyard?

Next time I take out a FireChicken, I will borrow Craig's truckers' belt-loop key-chain, and make sure the ignition key is soundly fastened to carved leather belt as I am driving. Is that good Chuck? :D

wigginout 06-07-2007 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2154803)

Uh. Glad to see you are feeling much better Brian.

jonyb 06-07-2007 03:34 PM

Glad this subject came up. I learned the hard way about wearing a lanyard. Luckily enough my partner wasn't hurt and could stop the boat. That was several years ago, and I've worn a lanyard everytime my boat is underway. I've even started wearing a PFD this year...

Hardly anyone at my lake uses they're lanyards. Something bad's gonna happen one day and they may not be as lucky as I was...

Raypanic 06-07-2007 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The driver could get one of these: http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/P...roduct_id=3771

Its a newer item and could be wired into the lanyard system through a relay, It has external outputs besides the alarm function. Not quite as sure as a lanyard system but better than not wearing them at all. Also for letting other people operate the vessel if the captain goes overboard the boat would stop too.

Sydwayz 06-07-2007 04:11 PM

Imagine this scenario:

You're clipping down your favorite body of water, and you spot 3 PWC doing normal stupid PWC things a ways in front of you. You take action, adjust course, and continue on. Then, out of no where, the 4th PWC that was out of your vision comes out of no where to catch up to his buddies, and takes you by surprise.

You take evasive action to avoid collision with the dumbass on the PWC. You avoid the collision with the PWC; HOWEVER, you spin, hook, or roll your boat while in collision avoidance mode; and are no longer piloting your boat due to being ejected or tossed about your cockpit.

Oh yeah, your forgot to wear your lanyard.

Your boat continues unmanned until it is finished carving its path of imminent destruction as described above.

The 4 idiots on the PWC are GONE.

Now you are the one left holding the responsibility bag due to someone else's negligence and stupidity. You are now responsible for a rash of bad effects.

Not a pretty picture.