Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160229-i-am-sick-effing-tired-no-lanyard-bs.html)

wstultz 06-07-2007 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a pretty picture! Except for the logo.:D

TEAMBAJA 06-07-2007 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2154873)
Imagine this scenario:

You're clipping down your favorite body of water, and you spot 3 PWC doing normal stupid PWC things a ways in front of you. You take action, adjust course, and continue on. Then, out of no where, the 4th PWC that was out of your vision comes out of no where to catch up to his buddies, and takes you by surprise.

You take evasive action to avoid collision with the dumbass on the PWC. You avoid the collision with the PWC; HOWEVER, you spin, hook, or roll your boat while in collision avoidance mode; and are no longer piloting your boat due to being ejected or tossed about your cockpit.

Oh yeah, your forgot to wear your lanyard.

Your boat continues unmanned until it is finished carving its path of imminent destruction as described above.

The 4 idiots on the PWC are GONE.

Now you are the one left holding the responsibility bag due to someone else's negligence and stupidity. You are now responsible for a rash of bad effects.

Not a pretty picture.

Then you sell the stepped hull and get a TRUE-V! :eek: :evilb:

bouyhunter 06-07-2007 06:04 PM

Almost 10 yrs. ago, I had a buddy that went from a Ski boat with one season on the water under him to a 32' Sunsation that he bought new at the Detroit boat show.
He's running down the river (you Maumee/ Erie guys might know where I'm talking - headed out of Rossford, and making the turn around the grain elevators towards downtown).
Me and my GF (now wife) are in the boat with him for the first run.
He'd been out once before for just a short ride to make sure it was mechanically sound.
GF is in the passenger bolster, I'm standing between the bolsters, buddy is driving.
He's running cruise speed (50-55), and we're just talking about the boat. I ask him if he put it through the paces yet? How's it track in the turns etc...
Next thing I know, he turns hard right,
Then brings it back hard left, ( you can get away with this in a jet-boat or a ski-boat) - boat grabs hard, sends the GF into the gunwale, sends me into her, buddy bounces over towards me.
But, when I got knocked over, I dropped my beer.
Buddy is now bent over trying to pickup the foaming beer can so as not to mess the brand new carpet.
THROTTLES ARE STILL AT CRUISE SPEED AND WE'RE ABOUT 75 YARDS FROM RUNNING DIRECTLY INTO A CONCRETE BREAKWALL!!!!
I climb over him and grab the sticks and cut the wheel to the right.
Everything is cool.
After we get through the No-Wake zone ( half a mile further), he looks at me and asks me to run it the rest the way out into the lake and show him what to do (not that I'm an expert, but I've been around boats a little longer).

Point is, this could have gotten really ugly had I not been able to react.
Landyard would have stopped the boat immediately.

Good thread Sydwayz - glad you're doing better. I would have suggested to Phantom Chaos to use an alligator clip to the scrot - but hey, whatever works.

PhantomChaos 06-07-2007 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by wstultz (Post 2154879)
This is a pretty picture! Except for the logo.:D

Yeah! I imagine a THONG under that friggin logo! :D :D :evilb: :drink:

handfulz28 06-07-2007 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2155003)
Yeah! I imagine a THONG under that friggin logo!

No need to imgaine...there's just enough skin showing to confirm it! :evilb: :D

I don't use the lanyards to kill the motors, but as a reminder/anti-theft effort I take them out and keep them with the keys. And yes, a couple of times I managed to try and start the boat without putting them in; at least I can't ignore them, and it confirms they work!
I remember my second time out in the boat was a dusk/evening run and I was in the ocean. Putzing along at 40mph I went to move something on the cockpit floor that had me move just outside the reach of the lanyards. Killed the ignition, scared the living crap out of me, but still glad I had them on.

Dave M 06-07-2007 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2154873)
You take evasive action to avoid collision with the dumbass on the PWC. You avoid the collision with the PWC; HOWEVER, you spin, hook, or roll your boat while in collision avoidance mode; and are no longer piloting your boat due to being ejected or tossed about your cockpit.

NO, NO, NO, It's like when a squirrel runs out in front of your car. You NEVER swerve to avoid it. :evilb: :D

P.S. See the UNCENSORED section for a solution to Phantom Chaos' dilemma.

tomcei 06-07-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 2154236)
how do you retro an older boat that does not have a lanyard?
Can someone show a link to a kit or install?

Storm, it seems like you could run your ignition (purple) thru it. It should act like opening the main ingition switch w/ the key

fazznick 06-07-2007 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jmeng (Post 2154251)
Gotcha, that should work. I'll try to start wearing mine, if I leave it hanging it taps against the dash and aggrivates the crap out of me anyway. :D

After 10 seconds of riding that was always my reminder if I forgot. Hate that tapping! I guess Im a little selfish but I wore mine because if I did come out of the boat my boat my boat would have a lot less chance getting wrecked. It was my pride and joy after all. After a while of using it, the lanyard became uncomfortable to not have it on. My seat belt is the same way. I just don't feel secure unless its on.

rainmn 06-07-2007 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Raypanic (Post 2154847)
The driver could get one of these: http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/P...roduct_id=3771

Its a newer item and could be wired into the lanyard system through a relay, It has external outputs besides the alarm function. Not quite as sure as a lanyard system but better than not wearing them at all. Also for letting other people operate the vessel if the captain goes overboard the boat would stop too.

I just read about those Raymarine bands, and I am probably going to pick up that system so I can put the wristbands on my kids.

rbtnt 06-07-2007 10:43 PM

Wear mine all the time. It is connected to a velcro wrist strap. The only place I have seen them is at the Cleveland Boat Show. When not on a wrist, the strap is around the throttles so the wife or I don't forget to put it on.