Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS. >

I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.

Notices

I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I'd advise you to clip it to your pecker, but I don't think they make lanyards that long; since CK keeps it in her purse, and she is usually somewhere taking care of business while you are goofing off with the boats.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a custom butt-plug with a D-ring on it, but I don't know if they make one big enough to create enough friction to hold it in.

Excellent answer for Norty. Kept me from having to come up with one.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Banned

I lost a good friend a few years ago, due to him not wearing a lanyard. He was only going about 35 mph in a bassboat, standing up. He dropped his cell phone, reached down to get it, and his belly (he was a big guy) caught the steering wheel causing the boat to turn and hook. He and the passenger were ejected, but the boat kept running. Everyone on the water was concentrating on the runaway boat. The passeger said he saw Issac come up paddling around for a while, then he slipped under the water. The boat also ran in a circle, came back and ran over the passenger, causing him to lose an arm. That should be a good enough reason to wear one. My buddy absolutely loved boats, and boating. I still think of him often.

Last edited by cuda; 06-08-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Banned

They are easy to install. I found that the one's like this will fit exactly in a cigarette lighter hole. I put one on my 20 foot Formula, right after I bought it. I had this one in my drawer right here by my computer. I was going to put it in the Minx, because when I pulled the kill switch on it, it kept running. I sold the Minx before I installed it, but I told the buyer that the kill switcj didn't work.

All you have to do is cut two wires from the ignition switch, and wire this between them. They have them at nearly any boating store you walk into.
Attached Thumbnails I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.-6-6.jpg  
Old 06-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Banned

Btw, I read above how it's someone's right not to wear one, but I was taught you rights end where the other guy's nose starts.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Related story........

Last year I went to the Around Manhattan Brunch Run at the end of the season.....

There were a few boats hanging around waiting for the rest of the fleet and we idled over and sat there...... drifting.

I hear some people laughing in a nearby boat and hear.... "Yeah, that's him and do you believe it...they've got life jackets on!....."

I look over and it's pretty obvious that this group is talking about my boat and the two of us on board....

We take off and I run at least 200 yards away from any other boats...and stay there until the narrow confines of the East River force us closer (but no closer than maybe 200 feet..at much reduced speed in the slop). I don't know these people and I have seen enough Poker Runs to understand the zany mindsets and showing off that frequently overrule common sense.

As we are returning to the harbor at Port Washington, the same boat with the group who had earlier made comments about my life jackets makes a last minute dash and deliberately tries to cut me off..... and/or hose me down.... I'm too long at the wheel for that nonsense and I evade the whole attempt..but it was a pretty damn obvious maneuver and they had to run at least 1/4 mile out of the way to make this attempt.... finally, they go blissfully off into the distance..waving and gesturing...

I backed off and went directly to the trailer ramp rather than to the restaurant and left...choosing to avoid what could have been a nasty ...and useless...... confrontation. ( 20 years ago there would have been a very different ending)..

The point.... there are a bunch of yahoos...some of whom post on this website who have no clue about safety, integrity or class.... and don't get it. Most are male 20-40 years of age and running on testosterone and fantasy, believing that they have great skills, speed, and hardware.... Many are correct about the speed and hardware..but the skills are more imagined than real in most cases. I imagine that these people are equally boisterous behind the wheel of a car or even at home in personal situations, and we may never reach them, but we should keep trying.

To me, posts like these take courage and I applaud Sydwayz for starting it. Careless behaviour on the water takes no courage and brands you, not as a rugged individualist, but rather as an irresponsible punk who takes risks not only with your own thoughtless life but with the precious existance of others'.

So put me squarely in Gordo's corner, but also be aware that, for a lot of these witless wonders, words have no meaning.

T2x
Great post..Im shocked by some of the comments on this board as to the lanyards. I'll stay in the slow lane.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Final story...and the most meaningful.

1966 Orange Bowl Regatta..... 9 hour marathon. There were so many boats (easily 175) in the race that a helicopter was used to start the event by dropping a bag of red dyed flour in front of the fleet out in Biscayne Bay. This swarm entered the first turn (of the 5 mile course)inside Miami Marine stadium. Hank Wieand Bowman, the foremost boating writer of the time and a veteran boat racer whose son's would later go on to make some of the greatest racing hydros in history, was driving a Mercury owned 22 foot North American Hull with a single stern drive, one of the largest boats in the race, and capable of maybe 70 mph. As he entered the turn the boat hooked and threw him overboard. Remember this was one of the most experienced boat drivers in the world at that time. The other boats all missed him as he floated and waved to the racers, but his boat continued at about 30 mph in an ever tightening circle with him in the middle..... Hank was killed that day, by his own boat after landing in the water without a scratch, and with a number of other racers desperately trying to get to him. Immediately after that accident the APBA mandated kill switch/lanyards in all classes and within about 10 years they became standard equipment in most marine engines sold .

This accident had a profound effect on me as it was the first fatality (of many) that I witnessed during my racing, building and commentating career. We lost a great asset that day, and the lanyard is a fitting tribute to his memory if you use it.

My first son's (born a year later) middle name is Bowman.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 06-08-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Registered

My two cents -

You should always wear a kill switch lanyard. I've had two cusstomers in the last 3 yrs who ended up purchasing new outboards cuz their dumb ass got ejected and the boats ended up on the bank at 3/4 throttle - kaboom. No rebuild - pure junk.

When I barrel rolled the Laser after losing the steering while strung out - the kill lanyard did it's thing - otherwise there was a pretty good chance it could of came around and sliced and diced either myself or the poor sucker who wanted to ride that day.

What really kills me are the people who don't wear them cuz it aint cool - or looks stupid. I'd rather look stupid than dead.

Ok - soap box is put up - carry on!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The mercury lanyards work good. There are different ones for inboard and outboards. So make sure you get the right one. What happened to the Crashed gadiator in the opening photo? Was it repaired?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Great info- I want the wireless on but $800? That is a weekend of fuel, booze and if I am really lucky a few lap dances!
Keep in mind the wireless system isn't really a kill switch - it's a man overboard system. As Raypanic said, I'm sure I could wire an output to a relay to act as an engine kill, but that's sort of an "added benefit."
Old 06-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

We had someone in the area get ejected from a pantera a few years ago... The boat circled on it's own for a while.. Not sure if the owner died from impact on the water or getting hit by the boat, either way the boat was on it's own course. RIP

I always wear mine in poker runs and on the ocean, I think I'll make it a full time habit...

Quick Reply: I am sick and effing tired of this no lanyard BS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.