Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why only Mercury in the performance world? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160241-why-only-mercury-performance-world.html)

wrasse 06-07-2007 12:59 AM

Why only Mercury in the performance world?

Having seen the wonderful advancements in the technology and reliability of the outboard motors as a result of competition, I wonder sometimes why no one has decided to challenge mercury in the performance arena. Does merc have such a stranglehold on the performance industry or is there is a lack of interest by other manufacturerers? Or is it a "nascar" redneck thing?
The advances in motor and outdrives in I/O performance applications are laughable compared to what's occured with modern outboards. I've seen so many people unhappy with bravos, etc.. why aren't hondas/yamaha/suzuki/volvo/ jumping in? When are we going to get see some more modern/reliable engines/drives in these things? Is the performance market so small that no one really cares so we're just left with merc?

Iggy 06-07-2007 04:56 AM

It's a monopoly.....sort of.
Merc had the resources and money to develop, test, and market the drive system. Even though Volvo came out with it first. That's why only Merc and Volvo are in competition.
Since Merc has the major share of the boating industry, and Volvo the rest, others may not want to spend the money required to try and beat Merc at their own game for small piece of the pie.
Polaris stopped production of all watercraft for similar reasons. They were always number four in the market and no matter how had they tried the couldn't beat SeaDoo, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. Even though Polaris won watercraft of the year with their new model and they were just about to introduce a line of boats like SeaDoo and Yamaha, production immediately stopped.

Airpacker 06-07-2007 06:52 AM

simple. economics.

Dave M 06-07-2007 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Airpacker (Post 2154192)
simple. economics.

Yup, very smalll percentage of the population gives a RAT'S AZZ about boats, especially perf. boats.

el indio 06-07-2007 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 2154219)
Yup, very smalll percentage of the population gives a RAT'S AZZ about boats, especially perf. boats.

YOU GOTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gordo 06-07-2007 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 2154133)
It's a monopoly.....

<Gasp!> you did NOT just say that out loud, did you? ;)

John W. Blake 06-07-2007 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 2154392)
<Gasp!> you did NOT just say that out loud, did you? ;)

He did and I heard him!!!!!

Dd24skater 06-07-2007 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 2154219)

You got it!