Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Travis Boat Accident (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160460-lake-travis-boat-accident.html)

tblrklakemo 06-14-2007 02:46 PM

Again, what a tragic loss. The whole collision, and previous hull repair are just too suspect for me. There have been lots of boats, fountains and the like, that have hit all sorts of waves like this and not split up. Something just doesnt seem right.

Turbojack 06-14-2007 04:09 PM

While the boat should have tolerated the forces involved in hitting the second wake, Rick and Caroline would have been ejected in the same manner, regardless.
Are you saying the hull split on hitting the second wave & not on return from the first wave?

This weekend I am going to see my father-in-law. He is one smart guy. I want to see what his take is on this is with out having any other information besides the pictures.

m1super90 06-14-2007 04:13 PM

The investigating warden's opinion is that the fracture resulted from re-entering the water and slamming into the second wake at an angle. He feels they would have been ejected in any event.

Originally Posted by Turbojack (Post 2163511)
Are you saying the hull split on hitting the second wave & not on return from the first wave?

Formula78 06-15-2007 02:28 PM

Met Rick on several occassions, this is very sad and his daughter will be missed. If there is anything I can do to help him and his family I would be very happy to do so. He is in my thoughts and prayers.

sonic31 06-15-2007 02:52 PM

:(

m1super90 06-15-2007 02:53 PM

The owner of the local Sea Tow operation has reduced his $15,000 fee for recovering Rick's boat to $5,000. Let's all hear it for Sea Tow! He wishes he could do more, but he has people and equipment to pay for.

For those of us wanting to donate something to help Rick cover expenses such as this, Kandis Wilberforce has setup setup an Paypal account. Use this email address on Paypal to transfer funds:

[email protected]

Additionally, Kandis will be visiting Dallas Night Club, Grahams, and Carlos n Charlies through the weekend to take donations. I'm not sure if she has to be there to make contributions, or if the staff will take them in her absence. Please email her to verify.

Please direct any Paypal donation questions to her at:
512-919-2191
[email protected]

DaveP 07-05-2007 02:41 PM

First - let me say that my heart goes out to both the father and the little girl. What a tragedy. I go boating all the time with my little girl.

Originally Posted by m1super90 (Post 2162847)
Theory:
The hull was weak at the seam.

As for weak at the seam, that boat was built with ONLY rivets or bolts to hold the deck and hull together. That is pretty poor workmanship. The deck and hull should be glassed together. If not, most boat builders will use a bonding agent along the entire seam as well as rivets / bolts.

m1super90 07-06-2007 10:31 AM

I came along side Randy a couple of weekends ago while he was tying up and thanked him for his help. He said it wasn't anything any of us wouldn't do for each other. Very nice guy!

Originally Posted by Turbojack (Post 2161466)
I was told by a Travis County Sheriff officer that was on the scene about the hero's on Randy's boat. First to the girls that saw (part) of the accident and had Randy turn around, then to Randy pulling into the path of the circling boat, then the guys that jumped into the water to rescue Rick and Caroline in the water, all the while Rick's boat is still running around them. Randy's Boat was also used to transport Rick to shore so the Fire boat could be released to go to Devil's Cove to the accident that was going on there.

As I was sitting on shore watching the events unfold I also notice that the medical personal were on Randy's Boat with their shoes on.

I forgot the other hero is the young girl that just became I believe a Texas Park and Wildlife officer to go and jump on Ricks boat while it was moving to shut it down.

The Sheriff Officer was thankful for Randy and crew and after I was told of the story so am.